News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: PIN Palsy

MrMech - Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:03 am

I have had complications following distal biceps tendon surgery. I have PIN nerve damage. The EMG disclosed mild to moderate number of sharp waves and fibrillation potential in right extensor radialis longus and extensor indicis proprius muscle. The Neurologist concluded that I had neuropathy with partial axonal loss.He said there was presence of reinervation in the extensor carpi radialis muscle and that this proves the nerve is not severed. I read that this particular muscle was controlled by the main branch of the radial nerve not the PIN, am I correct?. Do waves and fibrillations mean a good prognosis? Are EMGs very accurate? There was also no motor action potentials in nerve conduction studies in the extensor indicis proprius muscle.
Thank you,
Mike T
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:09 pm

User avatar I can't answer all of your questions as this is not my specialty. However, there are a few I can answer.

Fasciculations often indicate lower nerve damage (nerves beyond the spinal cord). They can also arise with healing nerves.

EMG's are very accurate. They are the best method of nerve/muscle evaluation we have at this point, to my knowledge.

Nerve regeneration is a slow process. Physical therapy can help with this.

Sorry I'm not able to answer your other more specific questions.

Best wishes.
 MrMech - Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:42 am

Hi I am now 4 months plus 2 week post op, radial nerve palsy following distal bicep repair.. I have regained mostly all my hand functions, I would say 70%. 1 month ago I barely moved my fingers and my thumb was not moving. I have been taking a Vitamin B-12 5000mg 3x a week with methylcobalamin and a regular mutli with a B-100 complex, daily. I am recovering rapidly. My point is that i would feel negligent if i did not post that there is info on the web about B-12 and it's benefits to nerves, and that my EMG was very negative 2 months ago so it's not always 100%. My neurologist painted me a bleak picture. He was wrong I am happy to report. On another note I also work out 3 days a week and rom exercises daily. And wear my brace to bed to stabilize my arm at night.
Thanks for the advice.And speedy revovery to anyone hurting out there.
Mike

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here