Question: EMG and Peroneal Nerve Lesion

harnoldus - Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:04 pm

I'm a 65 y.o. woman with possible MS symptoms. I went to the doctor because my legs frequently froze up. They just stiffened up and I couldn't walk. This would last a few minutes and then I could walk OK again. This has been happening for many years, but I never went to my doctor. Since it's been getting worse, I decided to get it checked.

I had an EMG done in August because my doctors are trying to rule out MS. I had 2 MRI's done 6 months apart and they both reveal 2 lesions, one suspicious, on the cervical spine. I also have foot drop in both legs, the right leg worse than the left. The EMG interpretation of the right leg only was as follows: "Abnormal study. There is electrophysiological evidence of a right peroneal nerve lesion. This is not localizable. EMG study is normal. A pure sensory radicalopathy is not excluded." My neurologist said there IS an abnormality and that because the "lesion" isn't localized, there isn't any way to find it and not to worry about it. Shouldn't he do an MRI on my leg or some other test to find out where or what the lesion is? Wouldn't a LP give some indication of MS? My doctor never suggested it.

He told me he thinks the lesion on my cervical spine may have damaged a nerve which is causing gait problems and foot drop. I don't know what's going on with the right leg and a peroneal nerve lesion. I also have stenosis in my lumbar spine causing pain on my lower right side which may also be causing problems.

I am going to physical therapy for the gait and foot drop problems and am also wearing a leg brace (A.P.O.) during the day.

I forgot to mention. I also had the BAER and VEP tests. The neurologist said they came out OK.

The only reason I knew about the peroneal nerve lesion is because I asked for a copy which I needed for the doctor doing the epidural on my back. My neurologist never told me. He said everything was OK. When I did ask him about it, he told me not to worry because of the lesion not being localized. Now I'm wondering if he was totally honest with me about the BAER and VEP tests.

He prescribed Neurontin (generic), 300 mg. 3 x day. It appears to be helping my legs not tighten up as much, but it's not helping my back pain.

I'm not getting any solid answers and I'm getting very frustrated.
 Poda - Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:33 am

I'm trying to solve a tough problem, and many docs are suggesting a possible pinched nerve. I've had a my back looked at many times with xray and mri and everyone seems to agree it's not my back. My question is, can anyone give a nerve or set of nerves that could cause pain in these areas:

Buttocks, tingling in left side, pain in right side.
Urethra, penis, pain underneath along midline down to perineum.
Right scrotum.
Inner right thigh.

Basically, I'm fed up with it, and so I'm just looking for specific things to tell the neurologist because they keep telling me to go to a urologist even when I've been there many times already. I just need to know some specific nerves. Here are some I already came up with:

inferior cluneal nerves
posterior femoral cutaneous nerve
pudendal nerve

I know the pudendal nerve is hard to diagnose, but what about those other 2, are they just as hard to find problems with?
 Poda - Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:34 am

Geezus, sorry dude, I meant to make my own topic. Ignore my post.

|