Question: MRI result and MS

countrygirl - Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:37 am

6 years ago due to dizziness I had a brain MRI to rule out accoustic neuroma ( I was 39yrs old). The only results I got back were extensive MS like demylianation accross the top ofmy brain, I can't remember what he called these lobes, but as I ddn't have any lesions in the part of my brain to control balance the ent Dr said these lesions were not the cause of my vertigo and balance problems. The report recommeded that I had urgent referral to neurologist.

My ent Dr sent the report to the neurologist who said he didn't want to see me as the ent Dr had done neurological exam and the neurologist would not diagnose MS from an MRI scan, I would need to have two or three def symptoms over next five years like optical neuritis.

As I also have spine problems as in prolapsed disc and athritis at C5/6 and degenerated discs all down my spine the cause of my balance problems was put as neck related.

I have had peculiar neruological symptoms since my late 20's as in tingling - burnin. nerve pain patches of skin anywhere on my
body for up to a week at a time - come in multiple attacks for weeks then go away for months. Sudden weakness in a leg with muscle jumping and vibrating feeling that can again last for weeksthen go away for months or year.

I have had to endure many invasive tests for weird sensations and symptoms ove rthe years which have all been normal and am now in midst of another episode of weird sensations that will I imagine end in another invasive proceedure.

a month ago I developed severe pulling sensations around my waist and down to navel area, it feels as if something is poking me from the inside out and moves around from one place to another. I also have prickling and burning/crawling sensation. I am having great difficutly sleeping as it is so uncomfortable and gets worse if I sit or lay down and much better if I stand up.

I have had ultrsound of aorta - normal lots of blood tests, no anaemia, full blood count normal no infection not appendicits kidney and liver tests all normal.fecal occult blood tests neg.

My Dr says as I am over 40 if it doesn't clear up he will have to send me for colonoscopy as my sensations are in bowel area.
He also says my disc degeneration in back could affect abdominal nerves but no one ever mentions these ms like lesions found in my brain.

I don't know what parts of the body are related to the two lobes across the top of you head and it may be that these sensations and problems can in now way be connected but I would love to know.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:36 pm

User avatar Without knowing the exact location of the lesions in the brain it's a little hard to say for sure. The brain is quite fascinating and a distance of only a few centimeters can move to a completely different area.

In general the areas in the front of the brain are referred to as the frontal lobes. They tend to control things such as behavior and impulse control. At their posterior ends they contain the motor cortex. They also contain areas related to speech and memory.

A diagnosis of MS requires the presence of multiple lesions of the brain or spinal cord separated in location and time. Without any physical symptoms, diagnosis is difficult.

If you continue to have the tingling pain/weakness you should be evaluated by a neurologist. These may be manifestations of more lesions in the brain or a different disease. Given your MRI findings, a neurologist may also recommend repeating the MRI to see if things have changed.

Hope this helps.

|