Question: Concussion

serenity22 - Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:16 am

age 55
sex female
past diagnosis paranoid shcizophrenia
past surgeries gall bladder removal, benign cyst removal on right ovary
current medications Triflouperazine 10 mg @ hs

On Febuary 20, 2007 i slipped on the ice and hit my head on the cement. I had a hat on which cusioned the fall. I went to the ER and they said I had brusiing of the brain. I looked that up on the computer and that meant it was a concusiion. I looked up treatment for a concussion and it said rest and Ibuprophen for the headaches. I have been very irritable, have had some headaches and my pupils seem much smaller. I was wondering how long it takes to heal from a concussion and if there is naything else I should be doing?

Thank you for your answer.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:40 pm

User avatar Depending on the severity of the concussion it may take days, weeks or sometimes even longer. Ibuprofen or acetaminophen are helpful for pain.

The most important thing to do during the recovery is avoid reinjury. Before the brain is healed, injuries are much worse than they would have been at other times.

|