Question: It's like he left the building

Blackwidow - Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:11 pm

It's about my husband~He refuses to go to the doctors and I am worried to pieces~I have tried to look up his symptoms online but I can't find a place where I can put in his symptoms instead of picking from a premade up list~Anyways,He is a 32 year old white male,weighs about 198 and is 5 8~About 8 months ago he started having mood swings~He will go from angry to very silly,even rage,to depression~He is experiencing short term memory loss,he doesnt remember alot of our conversations that we just had the day before or even a few hours before~Denying that they ever took place~He was asking me the same question over and over again but that seems to have stopped~He says his memories fine~And he gets dizzy~He will be standing there and all of a sudden he will collapse to the floor,lay there for about a minute~He says when that happens he cant talk or move any part of his body and on some occasions everything will go black for a second~he says his head starts feeling funny and all his muscles feel weak and they just get weaker and weaker till he cant move and collapses~He also gets confused and disorientated,cant think straight off and on during the day~He sleeps alot and has minor headaches off and on~I have checked his sugar level and thats been fine,never high or to low~He doesnt drink or take any street drugs~He also has lost his ability to keep a erection~It's like when I look into his eyes he's not there any more~They look empty~His mother had brain anerisms and she pasted away 2 years ago~He's afraid thats whats wrong with him so I cant get him into the doctors~So I am asking you what could this be?~These attacks started off slowly (the collapsing ect) but they are every day now and more then once a day~One or more of these symptoms is always present~Thank you for any and all help pointing me in the right direction in looking this up online to try to help my husband.Sincerly,Blackwidow
 LBoat - Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:45 pm

I have no medical training whatsoever, but I read your post and fully believe you should take whatever steps necessary to get him medical treatment. Is it illegal to physically drag someone to the doctor? If not, perhaps some big strong male friends will help you. If none are available, dial 911 the next time he collapses. Good luck. I wish you the best.
 Marceline F, RN - Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:49 pm

User avatar Dear Blackwidow,
According to your post, it seems like you are in Michigan. Please look at the following site - in particular section 330.1401 on page 39 of the document section c : http://www.mi.gov/documents/mentalhealt ... 3313_7.pdf
Every state has its own version of mental health protection laws. When an individual is at risk for intentional or accidental self harm (which can include issues of self neglect, or poor self care decision-making) the law provides for involuntary evaluation by a physician. Typically there are specific hospitals which are called "receiving facilities" which will assess the individual both physically and mentally to determine the cause of "bizarre behavior". There are many things that can contribute to abnormal behavior, and to the inability to recognize that the person is at risk for harm. These can range from chemistry imbalances to major brain abnormalities such as ischemia, hemmorhage, occusions, seizures, etc. Only a healthcare professional is able to evaluate, and diagnose the variety of presentation symptoms that your husband is displaying. I strongly encourage you to contact your local hospital to find the nearest receiving facility and ask them what their procedure is to assist you in getting your husband seen by a doctor. He may not like your intervention, but a rational person will at least appreciate your concern, and realize that your only intent is to help him be well again.
 Blackwidow - Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:15 pm

Rspct4trth wrote:Dear Blackwidow,
According to your post, it seems like you are in Michigan. Please look at the following site - in particular section 330.
1401 on page 39 of the document section c : http://www.
mi.
gov/documents/mentalhealthcode_113313_7.
pdf

Thank you for your reply~Unfortunately I am familiar with the mental health field,because I have a emotionally impaired son~He died at birth and it left him learning,emotionally,developmentally impaired and he has mild C.P.~Anyways,yes it is true that you can have a person who is a danger to themselves or others put in a mental hospitol~The rules for that are~"Have they threatened suicide or have they threatened to harm or kill another person"~It is only for a 48 hour watch~A "physc evaluation"~After 48 hours they are free to sign themselves out if they over the age of 18 and are not violent or threatening harm to themselves or others~I have been down that road with my son more then once~My husband is a normal man~With no mental illness history~They would only do a physc eval and not do testing to see if he has a medical issue causing the collapsing or confusion ect~They are only set up to do the phyciatric end of it~Your refered to your medical doctor for medical testing~Thats where I'm stuck because he is a adult and he has the right not to seek medical treatment if he chooses,because he is not certified mentally ill~The mental health code is set up for those who are already mentally ill certified~So they can get and recieve full medical treatment for any health problems whether it be mental or physical~I guess the only way I will get him help is if he collapses for a long enough time where I can call a ambulance and he cant talk to refuse to go~Cause if he comes outta it and they ask I know he will refuse to go to the hospitol~This is really heart breaking~I was so hoping for some direction~Idea's of what it might be so I can look them up and see if they sound like whats wrong with him~i guess I'll not know whats wrong with him till he dies and I have a autopsy done on him.
 Blackwidow - Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:19 pm

LBoat wrote:I have no medical training whatsoever, but I read your post and fully believe you should take whatever steps necessary to get him medical treatment. Is it illegal to physically drag someone to the doctor? If not, perhaps some big strong male friends will help you. If none are available, dial 911 the next time he collapses. Good luck. I wish you the best.

Thank you for your reply~Yes it is illegal to force anyone to go any where they don't want to go~Unless your their caretaker and they are certified mentally ill~I guess I will have to wait until he collapses for long enough that I can get a ambulance here and he cant refuse to go to the hospitol.
 Marceline F, RN - Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:47 am

User avatar Dear Blackwidow,
I am sorry about your son, and the challenges you have faced. I am not in Michigan, but I do work in a state with similar laws, and in a facility as a "receiving facility" intake RN. On numerous occasions we have received persons with no previously diagnosed history of mental illness, whose behavior warranted closer inspection due to the potential for incidental harm related to poor decisionmaking. The receiving facility must arrange for medical screening to ensure clinical stability before mental health assessment can be done. Usually this is done in the same facility, in the physical medicine side of the hospital, in the standard emergency room. While it is true that the facility has a period of time to justify the pt remaining as involuntary, it means that they have up to that period of time to petition the court for an extension. If the person continues to display bizarre behavior, or self detrimental decisionmaking, the court CAN mandate further assessment and treatment. This too would occur POST medical assessment for clinical contributing factors.
I hope you are able to find help for your husband's apparently complex problems.

|