Question: Numbness/Tingling Left side of face & Headaches

softwanderer - Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:01 am

Hello, and Thank You for both your time and any answers you may be able to share with me.

I will list my stats as requested:
1. 32
2. Female
3. Car accident with Herniated discs in neck and lumbar, neurological damage, muscular damage/soft tissue damage

4. No past surgeries
5. No related family history

6. I take each 3xday:
vicodin 750mg-1000 depending on pain/headaches
Ibuprofin 800mg
flexeril 10mg

My car accident was last May. I have had several MRI's for my neck and back which have shown several herniated discs in both neck and lumbar area (my apologies I don't have the numbers memorized).

I have been through TENS (useless) treatment, and have been discharged from physical therapy due to pain twice.

My pain in my lumbar area is considerable and does not go away with vicodin or percocet when I bend over. I have been told not to bend as the solution.

MY QUESTION IS in regard to my head:
I have constand headaches and pressure. I wake up and my head throbs. My neck always hurts and I have to rest it throughout the day. I have constant pain around the backs of my ears, and up around my head to behind my eyes.

But over the last 2 months, I have noticed that my left side of my face (the side that was more damaged in the car accident) is now NUMB and TINGLY all over. My lips get numb, my whole cheek area, up to my ear and temple.

I forgot to mention that I have very obvious muscle twitching and spasms throughout my face and whole body. The flexeril alleviates this a bit, but it still happens regularly.

My left side of face twitches uncontrollably if I try to raise it solely as if to sneer or lift my cheek. My eyes twitch when following lights, and get very sensitive to light in general. I also have very spastic jumping when they hit me with the hammer thing, they have issued me a referral based on these factors.

My slow military insurance has just now scheduled me for a neurologist.
I guess I am wondering if there is a surgery for this sort of thing, could all of my twitches and uncontrollable movements be fixed with a surgery to my neck or nerves?
Is there any solution to this, could my body repair itself, or once the nerves are damaged they remain broken?
Is the new numbness and tingling in my face indicative of a larger issue?

I had no prior health issues prior to this car accident and was in good health. I was hit on the left side by a vehicle going over 70. We were going about 30 mph. I did NOT lose consciousness or hit my head as far as I know. But I definitely snapped around a bit during impact.

Also, I did receive ONE Kennelogue shot in my neck. He has since refused to treat me due to the horrible headaches and facial numbness/tingling. He won't treat me til a neurologist has ruled out strokes or any other issues.
Thank you for any responses. I do appreciate your time.
 softwanderer - Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:09 am

I have also noticed I have had issues finding words when I am speaking. I usually spit out some word that was either just mentioned or is somehow associated with it, like counter instead of table.

This happens frequently and sometimes I will go through many words before either giving up or finally finding the right word. Its very frustrating.

No one has found a reason for any of my last post or this issue as of yet. They just say "neurological damage".

I feel like this accident has completely altered my body and my lifestyle. I don't know what these symptoms indicate, if anything more specific than just "neurological damage".

Thank you once again for your time.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:21 am

User avatar Many of your symptoms may be able to be traced back to your spine and the herniated disks. Your headaches may be due to muscle tension that develops during the day/night while your muscles are tight to help protect your neck from moving and causing pain. Tense muscles can cause signficant headaches.

The numbness and tingling may be a pinched nerve due to the herniated disks.

Your word finding issues and facial issues may be due to a contusion (bruise) of the brain or a concussion (altered brain functioning without any obvious signs such as bruising) from the accident. These can take several months to clear up.

I would recommend you see your doctor soon to be evaluated. You may also need to see a neurologist. A consultation with a neurosurgeon may provide you with some good information. Keep in mind that back surgery is a major deal and generally should be considered a last resort after medical treatment has been pursued.

|