Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Sharp Pain & tingles

mareelee - Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:44 pm

44yrs old
Female
No Medication

For the past 3 days I have had severe sharp shooting pains on the top left hand side of my head (generally in the area of where I part my hair), it is not in the one spot, but it has travelled along the parted hairline. The pain has lasted no more than 20 - 30 seconds at a time. My scalp feels very tingly/prickly & for the first two days even the hair folicles were extremly painful if touched.
Now on the 3rd day I have not had the sharp pain (head is still a little sensative) but the left side of my face (from under the eye to the bottom of the cheek bone), from the outside of the left nostral to the outer cheek bone has felt numb, but is ok to the touch.

I thought at first it might be shingles but there is no rash & it is not itchy.

thank you for your reply
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:01 pm

User avatar The areas you are describing are innervated by different nerves. The scalp is mostly a spinal nerve in the c1-c2 area. The face sensation is provided by the 2nd branch of the 5th cranial nerve in the area you are experiencing numbness.

It is possible that you had some irritation of your scalp from brushing your hair or possibly pulling it too tight. It is also possible that you had a little pressure on the nerve somewhere along its course causing your pain.

It is difficult to tie this to your facial symptoms. The best way I can think of is that you may have had a viral infection causing your initial symptoms that now is producing a post-infectious syndrome. Occasionally post-viral syndromes can include neurological finding such as you are describing.

I would suggest that you be seen by your doctor to get a full neurological exam and look for any other more subtle involvement of the nervous system. This may help in providing a diagnosis. You may need a referral to a neurologist if your symptoms don't improve.

|