Question: undiagnosed knee spasm

didgi - Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:16 am

I am a 22 year old male, about 5 foot 2 weighing about 175lbs and in good shape. i exercise regularly for at least 2 hours nearly every day. last year a dull pain started in my left knee right below the patella and occasionally along the sides. this dull pain increased to a sharp pain where i could no longer bend the knee or bear weight. this pain eventually was accompanied by a knee spasm (mainly extreme tension in the quadriceps but sometimes a slight twitch). My family doctor could not test the knee and sent me to a neurologist.

she ran a MRI of the head and lower spine and could not find anything. then she performed a EMG and EEG which also turned up nothing. blood work was done and the calcium levels were off along with something else which i can not recall. eventually the pain subsided and thus i was able to control the spasms.

recently the pain has begun to come back and once again i am unable to fully bend or straighten my knee. the pain on one occasion lead to the spasms. i went back to my family doctor who was able to perform some slight test. i could bear weight and walk/control the leg/knee. when the leg was pull to test the ligaments/muscles all appeared good except it would cause the spasms to occur. they take me some time to bring into control (once again mainly an extreme contraction). when the nerves were tested by striking the area below the knee, the spasms would occur. my family doctor is perplexed by these symptoms and once again is starting at the top with more blood work.

if you have any ideas as to a possible diagnoses that would be great.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:01 pm

User avatar It sounds as if you have had a thorough work up of possible nerve issues. This leads me to believe that your problem is likely not nerve related but, rather, due to the muscle or bone.

Your initial symptoms would make me suspicious of a stress fracture or condition such as Osgood-Schlatter syndrome.

You may benefit from seeing a sports-medicine specialist. Essentially, the specialize in the musculoskeletal system and in sports-related injuries.

|