Question: Tingling and Shakiness in Forearm

Klynne - Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:48 pm

Hello everyone,

I am a 37 year old man who has been experiencing this weird feeling in my left forearm. I will get this tingling that is on the inside of my forearm that will sometimes travel to my fingertips. Also when I turn my arm a certain way and grip something, my arm up to my elbow will begin to shake, however, when I let my grip go, it will no longer shake. It started with some pain that was in my shoulder/bicep area, I had a MRI done of my left arm which showed a mild tear in the shoulder. That seems to no longer be bothering me, now I have this odd sensation in my forearm. I also had a MRI done last year on my neck which showed a pinched nerve in my neck, however, this is on the opposite side. I do lift weights every other day and have been doing so on a regular basis for years. I have never had so many problems. I went to a chiropractor who thought I possibly had a pinched nerve in my forearm area or something similar to carpal tunnel or radial tunnel syndrome. No tests were done to conclude this. Some days it doesn't bother me at all and others I just get that shakey feeling when I grip something. I have taken some time off of lifting and went back yesterday, everything was good, but today I got that shakey feeling back today. I am going to make an appointment with another doctor to get an EMG done. Currently I am just taking some Aleve to relieve any pain that occasionally comes.

These are all of my symptons, not many and it is just centered to these problems in my forearm. I do not have pain anywhere else. However, I have myself in fear that I may have MS. I'm trying to convince myself it is not that, but I am putting myself in such a depression because I have such fear that this is it. Does this sound like the symptons of this or would I have more things going on? I have no history of this in my family. I think the EMG would help to relieve my worries but I'm not so sure.

Any advice?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:47 pm

User avatar Your symptoms do not sound like MS. It may very well be that you have a nerve that is caught in your forearm that, when gripping things, is compressed or irritated subsequently causing your symptoms.

You may also have some tendon or muscle damage to the muscles/tendons involved in the gripping process. An EMG will help delineate these problems but may not be needed. The neurologist will likely be able to tell a lot based on your physical exam and may recommend a different diagnostic test.

AE - Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:25 am

I am a 36 year old who until recently lifted religiously and is having some of the same fears (MS) due to strange sensations/tingling. I hope you have had a positive resolution since your post. I am going through ups and downs mentally with this and I don't consider myself a weak person.
 Klynne - Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:32 pm

Thank you Dr. for your response. The more I hear the symptons don't sound so severe, the better it makes me feel, though I know until I have these tests done, I will not be at complete ease.

AE, I wonder if this is associated to lifting? I mean in the situation of carpal tunnel, I believe that can come from overuse. I do not have a diagnosis yet, however, I do have an appointment with a Sports Medicine doctor on Thurs, they do perform EMGs at the office. If I get no resolution, I will then go to a neurologist, however, I am trying this doctor under the recommendation of a friend, I will let you know how things turn out.

|