Question: Fasiculations - jaw tightness - swallowing problem

cbrons - Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:30 pm

I am a college student and i have been seeing some strange symptoms that have been giving me some concern. I would first like to say that ever since I researched the first symptom, ive noticed others as well and a few general practicioners that i have seen have said that I have anxiety (which I do, big time) and am currently medicated with ativan and effexor. But is the anxiety caused by a neuro problem? I have been having some fasiculations in different parts of the body. They arent continuous and pop up at random, sometimes in my left arm where my tricep is and sometimes in my calf but sometimes in my face or something. Ive also noticed that I have excess mouth watering and when i am very anxious i notice that i tremble a lot more. I remember one night i went to sleep very worried and was woken up every time i tried passing out with a jerk from a random area of the body. I also feel like my blood circulation isnt as well as it should be as I feel some numbness when i put a limb in an awkward position for a short period of time.

I have been so worried that I have early onset symptoms of als like bulbar onset because of my excess mouth watering and i also think maybe some swallowing problems. Im always asking people if im slurring words but everyone says I sound normal. I hope you might be able to shed some light on this. It is consuming me and I can't stand it. Could it just be bad anxiety with OCD (which i have a history of)? I don't know what my fam. history is because im adopted but i am 19 yrs old and a male.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:40 pm

User avatar It is difficult to say for sure regarding your symptoms. Anxiety raises catecholamine levels in the blood (epinephrine, etc.). This increase causes the muscles to be closer to firing (in preparation for the need to run away, i.e. the fight or flight response). So it is possible that your anxiety is inducing some fasciculations as well as the increased mouth watering through a similar mechanism.

Having said that, muscle fasiculations can be a sign of lower motor neuron problems. I would recommend that you follow up with your doctor and possibly a neurologist to get a thorough neurological examination. If your neuro exam is normal, you are likely OK. If your exam is changing or new symptoms develop be sure to let your doctor know about this.

|