News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Fasiculations - jaw tightness - swallowing problem

cbrons - Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:30 pm

I am a college student and i have been seeing some strange symptoms that have been giving me some concern. I would first like to say that ever since I researched the first symptom, ive noticed others as well and a few general practicioners that i have seen have said that I have anxiety (which I do, big time) and am currently medicated with ativan and effexor. But is the anxiety caused by a neuro problem? I have been having some fasiculations in different parts of the body. They arent continuous and pop up at random, sometimes in my left arm where my tricep is and sometimes in my calf but sometimes in my face or something. Ive also noticed that I have excess mouth watering and when i am very anxious i notice that i tremble a lot more. I remember one night i went to sleep very worried and was woken up every time i tried passing out with a jerk from a random area of the body. I also feel like my blood circulation isnt as well as it should be as I feel some numbness when i put a limb in an awkward position for a short period of time.

I have been so worried that I have early onset symptoms of als like bulbar onset because of my excess mouth watering and i also think maybe some swallowing problems. Im always asking people if im slurring words but everyone says I sound normal. I hope you might be able to shed some light on this. It is consuming me and I can't stand it. Could it just be bad anxiety with OCD (which i have a history of)? I don't know what my fam. history is because im adopted but i am 19 yrs old and a male.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:40 pm

User avatar It is difficult to say for sure regarding your symptoms. Anxiety raises catecholamine levels in the blood (epinephrine, etc.). This increase causes the muscles to be closer to firing (in preparation for the need to run away, i.e. the fight or flight response). So it is possible that your anxiety is inducing some fasciculations as well as the increased mouth watering through a similar mechanism.

Having said that, muscle fasiculations can be a sign of lower motor neuron problems. I would recommend that you follow up with your doctor and possibly a neurologist to get a thorough neurological examination. If your neuro exam is normal, you are likely OK. If your exam is changing or new symptoms develop be sure to let your doctor know about this.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here