Question: Parkinsons?

Klynne - Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:25 am

Hello, I posted down below regarding tingling and shaking in the forearm. Once again, I am a 37 year male who has been experiencing these problems in my forearm/hand region. I have been weightlifting for many years and I thought perhaps this has caused this problem. At first my shoulder was bothering me and that seems ok but now my hand and fingers will get tingling and feel cold, my grip will sometimes be off, and when I do grip something and turn my arm a certain way, my forearm will shake. In general this shaking will go away when I release my grip. However, I went to see a Sports Medicine doctor yesterday and my hand was trembling slightly without gripping anything. I had forgot to mention in my last post that my father was diagnosed with Parkinsons Disease last year. When the doctor saw this slight shake she commented that when she tested my reflex the response was alittle odd and she was alittle confused by this slight shake. She strongly believes that I have carpal tunnel which is causing the tingling, slight pain from time to time, the coldness and the gripping problem. When I told her of my father having Parkinsons she stated that she wouldn't have thought this was my problem but could not say 100% that this was not the cause. When she said this I immediately began to panic. I have an EMG scheduled for next Wednesday but think I may make an appointment also with a neurologist. I am freaking out with fear of having Parkinsons Disease now. The shake I experience mostly always happens when I am gripping something, it rarely does it when I am not, however it just happened to do it slightly yesterday. I was hoping to go there and here some good news of it being something simple and now I am in more fear then before. Could this shake be caused by something other then one of these major illnesses, such as Parkinsons or MS, could a muscle/tendon or nerve problem in my forearm cause this problem?? I don't know how I am going to get through until Wed, I am just so fearful right now.
 Marceline F, RN - Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:56 am

User avatar Dear Klynne,
Have you had an opportunity to be evaluated by a DO or a Chiropractic physician? A DO (doctor of osteopathy) who has training in manipulation or a chiropractic physician may be able to assist you in finding the source of your paresthesias and dyskinesia. It is possible that during one or more of your workout sessions you managed to cause a misalignment in your spine leading to possible impingement of your nerves from your back, and contributing to the problems you detail. I would certainly suggest you explore this with a specialist perhaps even prior to your Electromyelogram (EMG).

|