Question: Brain Injury - Concussion?

pk - Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:09 pm

Occurred late October/early November 2005

Background
A 38 year old 120lb female ice-hockey goaltender playing against men with skill and strength.

The injury
Late evening game. A hard, fast rising slapshot unexpectedly caught me directly on the chin of my mask. My neck was abruptly jarred backwards but my chin was slammed into my chest and upwards causing my head to roll forward in the opposite direction my neck was going in

Immediate post impact
There was no loss or alteration of consciousness, no dizziness, or headache. It didn’t seem like anything. Played the rest of the game and went home to bed without noticing anything.

Next morning
Awoke with a very sore/stiff neck and right trapezium(?), and suffering from some significant problems. (Can’t remember how long the neck soreness lasted; maybe 5-7days?)

Symptoms
Memory: general short term, general long term, names, words, faces, forgetting how to do tasks I’ve been doing for years

Concentration/focus: extreme difficulty concentrating, totally spacing out, severe drop in well developed multitasking abilities, inability to organize thoughts. Concentration problems seemed to intensify all other symptoms

Communication: difficulty understanding verbal communication, thinking one word or phrase but it coming out as other words or even gibberish when vocalized, completely forgetting what I was talking about mid-word in the middle of a sentence, difficulty with written communication, repeatedly rereading the same sentence over and over again

Balance: way off, balancing on one foot was impossible, often stumbled sideways for no apparent reason, couldn’t walk around a wall corner without my shoulder running into it. There was no sense of dizziness with this though, more like trying to compensate for a slanted floor.

Coordination: couldn’t catch or juggle, seemed to have no idea where my hands/limbs were relative to the object although I could clearly see both, general clumsiness; reflexes greatly slowed down

Vision: images on TV and/or video games would blur together and cause dizziness and nausea, tracking and understanding movement especially quick or complex movement was extremely difficult, moving objects would get within a certain distance of me and although I could still see them I suddenly had no idea where they were, occasional blurred vision, eyes ‘just felt funny’ at times, like they were fighting against each other, and this would sometimes degenerate into the only headaches I remember having.

Hearing: a fine textured ‘white noise’ that often pulses in time with my heartbeat became quite noticeable in both ears but more so in the left.

General: mentally very very slow, unable to understand things, unable to process information, nothing seemed to ‘work’, feeling stupid, confusion, occasional difficulty in natural ly swallowing saliva, opinions became ‘black and white’ rather than their normal ‘shades of grey’, irrational anger

It’s been a year and a half and I am still suffering from some of these symptoms.

Was this in fact a concussion, even without the dizziness, headaches or vomiting??
I don’t have access to a neurologist until perhaps this summer. If I am able to see one are there certain things I should be sure to ask about? Is there anything that can actually be done at such a late date?

Thanks for any info.
 Marceline F, RN - Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:23 am

User avatar Dear PK,
While it is very unfortunate that you did not get a clinical evaluation of your injury at the time it occurred, I would strongly advise you to seek an evaluation/assessment of your current problems as soon as you are able. The mechanism of injury that you detailed may very well have caused a "coup contrecoup" type injury in your brain. This is when the brain inside the skull basically bounces back and forth between the back and the front of the skull causing bruising in both areas. A neurologist is the only one who can actually identify the areas of injury with the assistance of a Cat Scan of the brain, and perhaps an MRI/MRA (Magnetic Resonance Imaging/Magnetic Resonance Angiography). The extent to which something can be done now is going to be based on the nature of the original injury, and the residual problem currently there. I would cautiously suggest that delaying further may put you further away from solutions that may still available at this moment. You detail some very serious effects of a traumatic brain injury, and while I gather you are currently probably uninsured, you may wish to apply for disability benefits or Medicaid. The local emergency room has an obligation to see you and treat you as best as they can with or without insurance - you can make payment arrangements with them. Many hospitals also have access to MEP - Medicaid eligibility programs - which may be able to assist you with acquiring some form of help.
 ginny - Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:35 am

I take diovan 160, nexium 40 mg, and lipitor 40 mg, all 1 x daily. I sat down, and my vision went as if i was looking through a kaleidiscope for approximately 1 minute, then cleared, and i felt dizzy, why? Oherwise i am a fmeale, 54 years old and in good condition.

|