Question: Husband's muscles weak and wasting away

girlnovelist - Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:03 pm

I am writing regarding my poor husband. He is 32. He is the kind of guy who is never sick. The kind that never gets the flu or misses a day of work. Suddenly, one day he gets a herniated disk. He got it at work at his desk, doing nothing. Then after this starts to go away, he suddenly goes weak on one side of his body. He now has to walk with a cane and is getting worse by the day. Last night, he was changing, and I noticed one side of his body had color and the other didn't. His muscles on the side that is weak are wasting away so that the are abnormal looking and feeling. We have seen a neurosurgeon, and neurologist general doctor, a general doctor, physical therapists, and chiropractors. All have no idea. MRI is normal. No evidence of a stroke. Neck where he had disk herniated seems to be fine now. Blood work is normal. The only thing abnormal was nerve conductivity test. He has never had any surgeries or been hospitalized for anything. He didnt take any medications until now. He is on a great deal of pain medication. Please help my husband before he gets worse or dies. The last thing my neurosurgeon said is you might as well apply for state disability and there is nothing we can do. I cannot stop crying for him. Please help us.
 BrandiWyne - Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:32 am

First of all, I am NOT a physician, nurse, or anyone in a medical field. I am simply a fellow patient .

Secondly, my heart truly goes out to you and your husband. I know you both must be very frightened by what is happening to him.

I can only tell you that in situations like this, you might try going outside of this particular network of physicians. Not saying that they aren't fine doctors, just that they are not helping you right now.

Are you located near any teaching hospitals? I live in Washington State, for example, and in Seattle, we are blessed to have three outstanding teaching hospitals and physicians who literally discover procedures that other phycisians eventually practice. There are many such hospitals around the nation, and I urge you to explore this possibility. Stat. :)

Continue to be his strongest advocate. I sincerely wish you both the best.

Brandiwyne
 girlnovelist - Mon May 07, 2007 10:05 am

Please help us. I can't lose him.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun May 13, 2007 5:31 am

User avatar Hi girlnovelist,
Exactly what blood work was completed? The MRI you stated as being completed, was this diagnostic repeated? I would strongly urge you to have a second opinion.

|