Question: Sometimes both legs give way and I fall straight down

Alex - Wed May 02, 2007 5:23 pm

Male 41 generally healthy (but a little overweight): standing outside early evening in shorts and t-shirt. Barefoot. Stood in one place for a while talking and began to sense a lack of feeling in one leg - a little like pins and needles but without the acute pain. When the other leg started to feel odd too I went to lean against a post but before I could do so, which would have meant moving slightly, both legs gave way and I fell straight down.

I felt OK - rested a couple of minutes before getting up in case I fell over again as it would have worried the people I was with. Saw a physio therapist about something else and he said that both knees were surprisingly weak but if this happened again to see a neurologist.

Any idea what this could be ? I'm not overly worried but living in a city so the thought of falling over on a busy road or a train line does rather scare me. Job hunting so don't want to have to admit to a problem if there's no immediate need to follow up.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu May 03, 2007 2:33 am

User avatar Occasionally, when one is standing for a long period of time, the blood pressure can drop compromising blood flow and causing the weakness.

This should resolve very shortly after you fall because falling causes you upright position to be changed and the blood pressure issue is resolved.

Given the weakness on exam by your physiotherapist I would suggest you see a doctor for an examination and suggestions for treatent.

Alex - Thu May 03, 2007 4:29 am

Thanks for that - drop in pressure sounds a reasonable explanation.

|