News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: I had and EEG with extraordinary results....interpretations?

ggreggerh - Tue May 15, 2007 12:01 pm

Here is the result:

"This is an 18-channel EEG performed on a 24 year old male in the awaken state. The resting background consists of well developed, well modulated alpha rhythm of 9-11 Hz per second maximally seen in the posterior head regions and generated symmetrically.

The background is reactive in a normal fashion to eye opening and eye closing maneuvers.

There are a few sharp waves with intermittent K-complexes and theta slowing activities in the bi temporal area. There is no focal or laterizing features otherwise recorder. There are some movement artifacts in the recording.

Patient enters stage one drowsiness and sleep.

Impressions: This EEG shows some sharp waves without any focal or laterizing features.

Clinical correlation is suggested."

I had a car accident a couple of months before and had to get an eeg for insurance purposes. I wonder if this eeg has anything to do with the fact that I meditate.

Anyone?

Im 24 healthy male with no past diagnoses or surgeries, medications or anything.
 Marceline F, RN - Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:06 am

User avatar Dear ggreggerh,
Biofeedback was very popular in the 70's and 80's among the college age students of phenomenology of mind. Through it we explored lucid dreaming and other meditative states. We used all kinds of equipment designed to teach us how to progress downward from Beta waves (normal waking existence) through Alpha (eyes closed, mind calm) into Theta waves where we were right at the bridge to sleep, at a place where we could lucidly dream - body relaxed, mind able to "conjure". Your EEG indicates by the report that yes your meditation practices have paid off and you are able to enter Theta. The K complexes may simply indicate that you acknowledge external sounds or stimuli. The use of biofeedback/ neurofeedback is now being used in all kinds of mind teaching (such as training ADD patients to control their disorder.) Keep up with your meditations, I am sure they are of great value to you!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here