Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Head Pressure - Vision, Ear, Chest, Period, etc

Tizz - Sat May 19, 2007 10:49 am

Hi there.

I am a 26 year old female and I'm about to sound like a complete bag of ailments! Please bear with me - this reads like a novel!

I will empty the bag below:

- Head pressure, right side only. Located behind eye, more recently extending towards temple and ear. Until approx mid last year I had very few headaches (would only experience perhaps 1 headache per year!). Headaches more frequent in past year, fullness feeling is more frequent - squeezing/pushing sensation behind right right eye.
- Pressure has been particularly distracting this week and exhausting. This caused me to take 1 day off work (yesterday).
This morning, I woke with a bizarre soreness (to touch) around the right temple - cheekbone. Almost like sunburn.
Fullness in head arrived again approx 1hr after this.

- Vision. Have noticed mild vision changes over past few months. slight "glassiness" / Blurred vision in right eye. Only mild.
In last 2 weeks black spot/floater appeared in the LEFT eye (resembles a small fly flying through my vision). This is still here.
In past 3 months, noticed (while doing make-up) that my right eyelid had become less visible (skin under brow hides crease). This has become far more prominent in last 2 weeks (the drooping skin now rests on my eyelashes and feels heavy). I catch myself raising my brows to ease it. I also experienced a spell of frequent "twitching" around the eye about a month ago.

Ear - Hearing in right ear has deteriorated slightly over 2 years or more (not sure if this is related to other symptoms). Mild ringing has appeared over last year (usually only noticed when in quiet room/bed).

Periods - Over the last year my periods have become irregular. My cycle has always been normal. 33 days with 6 days on - for years.
Over the past year, my cycle has been anything from 44 - 64 with different durations (my last cycle was 64 days and the period only lasted for 3 days).

Tiredness - I feel tired more easily that I used to. I generally sleep for 8hrs (or more) per night, generally have a good diet (my boyfriend thinks I'm a saint!) and until the last 2 weeks or so, go to the gym regularly/exercise at home. (i've not felt well enough to train more recently).

Unusual - Particularly since the start of this year, I have noticed that I have had more difficulty in concentrating/absorbing information and "thinking on my feet". I would normally consider myself to be very articulate and quick witted. However, more recently, I have had strange episodes of mental block/freezing during conversations/not remembering words. The most recent being 2 days ago during a meeting. I became lost whilst describing something simple.
Also, I have no reason to feel unhappy, anxious or stressed (lucky for some) but have recently felt myself become agitated for an unknown reason/more easily. Work colleagues have also commented (either directly to me/or to each other) that I seem quiet or not myself. They have also commented that I do not look well/look tired.

- I have also been experiencing episodes of nausea and gagging/heaving. Certain sights and particularly smells which I was previously indifferent to, now cause a gagging reaction (?!). I feel as if i will be sick.

Chest Pains - I have been experiencing unusual sensations in the chest. Approx 2 months ago, whilst washing up, I experienced a strong pain in the chest (central/right) and had shooting pains along my right arm. Due to my age and that I should be more concerned by pains on the opposite site, I was not overly worried. However, later that day and for the following week, I had bouts of the same sensation (albeit milder) along both arms. I still occasionally get a twinge now. I thought it best to mention this as I have a family history of heart problems.

Please can I get some feedback on the above. I'm fully aware that this may appear totally and utterly unbelievable (and this is why I have been reluctant so far to go to a doctor) but I can assure you that each symptom is 100% genuine and is now beginning to cause me some concern.

Many thanks
 Tizz - Thu May 24, 2007 1:47 pm

Hello again forum folk - I have another thing to add to the list...surprise!

Muscle shakes!
Not only did my right leg begin shakingrandomly (like elvis) last Sunday - for about 2 mins Today, my whole body feels shakey - the only thing i can liken it to is when you're in mild shock, say after a near miss /bump in the car / (not that i'm the bad driver of course!). My legs and arms went all weak and shuddery for absolutely no reason whatsoever as i was quietly finishing up for the day at work.

Would love some feedback if anyone has the time and patience to read the entry above.

Debbie Miller, RN - Sat May 26, 2007 10:49 pm

User avatar You certainly do have your share of challenging symptoms. I see the potential for something systemic that is causing multiple symptoms, such as relating to the endocrine system, or a variety of unrelated problems. First thing you need to do is see a doctor for a complete evaluation, including blood tests (especially thyroid, etc.). This could be done through an internal medicine doctor, an endocrinologist, or a family practice physician. Before your appointment, print off this list so you won't forget to tell the doctor about everything that is happening. Each piece could be a part of the big puzzle and it's necessary to have all the pieces. If additional testing is indicated you can then be referred to the appropriate specialist. It is complicated and certainly requires some hands-on care that you cannot get through a general online forum such as this. I'm sorry I cannot be more specific but it would be a huge guess at best. Good luck. Please keep us posted.
 Tizz - Sun May 27, 2007 4:51 am

Hi Debbie. Thanks very much for your reply.
I made my first visit to my doctor a couple of days ago. He prescribed antibiotics to rule out a sinus or ear infection and bloods to check for aneamia and thyroid disorder.
I had exactly the same thought to print off the list. However, I stupidly felt too awkward to read it out. I had mentioned it but he did not seem to be too interested. The things which i therefore missed were chest pains, the memory/concentration problems and muscle shakes.
I'll go back next week to discuss the results of the blood test and will let the forum know what happens. Thanks again.
 Lynn55 - Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:49 pm

Hi, im 16 I've had similar symptoms: blurred vision, pressure in head which makes in feel numb, loss of appetite & concentration, dizziness, irregular breathing & chess pain, consistent shakiness(mostly in arms & legs) & most recently cold chills all over. My family doctor doesn't know whats wrong with me & have done many test: urine sample, checked my vision, pulses on my head & hip... but not a blood test, that's next. I've been 2 the doctors 4 times already; 3 months i went & the Dr. said i had an ear infection; just recently it has gone away and I've changed my Dr. because the 1st one kept on giving me the same medicine that was making me sick & not working 4 me. But after my 2nd Dr. confirmed my ear infection was gone he started testing a lot of other things and gave me yet another anti-inflammatory. im positive its not going to help. And i need 2 get well enough 2 keep my grades up in school. So, when you find out please write me.Thanks!!

|