Question: fainting, dizziness, vision problems

anw6943 - Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:20 pm

Hi, i am 19 year old female. I have been experiencing problems for the last 8 months. It all started one evening after i was out in
hail storm, i went inside and was freezing cold and really dizzy and passed out. I have passed out 3 times in the last several months. I am dizzy constantly but have these "episodes" probably twice a week, where i am severly dizzy(to the point of falling/not being able to walk)headache, most recently neck pain, tingling/shooting pain in my hands,feet and back. As well as numbess, i get extremley cold and start to lose feeling in my hands and feet. I also have really bad shaking in my right arm (tremor) and i get really confused. I also get blurry vision and my eyes twitch. I have been seeing a neurologist, i had a brain mri as well as an eeg that DR. said were normal (except for a small cyst somewhere that i was told was unrelated). MY doctor said i had an inner ear problem for the last 6 months, now he said he does not know what the problem is. So i'm thinking maybe get a second opinion, this doctor seems a little unorganized as well, he didn't even have the full mri report when i had went in a month after to see him. I am currently on medication, i have been on lyrica for about 3 months, 75 mg 3 times a day. And now i am on metanx, doctor said from bloodwork that my b12 level was a low normal, at 286. My doctor said that could cause some dizziness and numbness but he does not act like that is the main problem. I was just wondering if any of you have any advice as far as a possible problem, if i should get a second opinion, is there a way you can go about finding a good doctor? My insurance is not too good, so i already owe thousands of dollars so i would rather not have to go through the same thing again and have no answers still. I just want to feel better.
Also when this problem happens i get extremley tired/fatigued.
Also wanted to add that last thursday night i lost complete feeling in half of my right hand as well as some numbness and tingling in my feet (lasted for about 2 hours) then i fell when i tried to get up and walk. Then friday night i passed out. I've also noticed lately at times my vision in my left eye goes gray, but it only lasts for a few mins. I went to the doc last tuesday, he said he was not concerned about the numbness, tingling (electric shocks feeling) because it's not constant, it comes and goes. Which is fine i was just hoping there was something i can do about it because it's kinda "inconvient" when your trying to walk and your legs go numb. My next appointment with my doc is in 2 months, hopefully things will get better. Any advice appreciated
alot!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:11 pm

User avatar Unfortunately, I don't have any great advise for you. I do have a few recommendations. You may want to see an ear, nose and throat specialist to consider if there is an inner ear problem that could be causing your dizziness.

I am thinking, though, that your problem is probably not with your ear. Inner ear problems are well known to cause dizziness but should not cause the hands/feet to go numb.

Another thought would be to have a video EEG monitoring stay. This is where they hook you up to an EEG machine and video tape you at the same time. The advantage to this is that it is a long recording. So this way, there is a better chance of being able to see the EEG while you are having symptoms. Then they can correlate what they are seeing to the brain wave patterns. This can be helpful if the EEG is normal without symptoms but becomes abnormal during symptoms.

Requesting a second opinion is always an option. I think they are very helpful since they are a fresh perspective on things.

I hope you are able to get some answers soon. Best wishes.
 anw6943 - Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:38 pm

Thank you for the advice. I have just started seeing an internal medicine doc at the local university hos. I am going to see an neuro opthamologist for the vision problems and their doing some heart tests. Seems to be a good doc. Thanks again!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:37 pm

User avatar It's good to hear you are on the track to getting this figured out. Thanks for the update. Let us know what you find out if you don't mind.

|