News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: sweating, numbness in legs/feet, amenorrhea, poor vision

Nalyh - Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:08 am

I'm currently 20, female, active, under no medication, and at healthy weight. My symptoms started with excess sweating from when I was 5 years old. First, it began with slightly clammy hands then to extreme excess sweating of both the hands and feet on a daily basis. I get hot very easily and the sweating increases in other areas. I sweat more than anyone I know including guys. Another symptom I have is amenorrhea. I started getting my period at the age of 13 and not long after (probably within a year) my period became less frequent occurring maybe every 6 months or longer. For the past 2 years I have not gotten my period at all. Also, my vision has increasingly gotten worse through out the year. My vision is now at -7.50 in both eyes. I started wearing glasses since I was 8. I also had asthma/breathing problems during sleep when I was younger.

I did look up some possible causes of my symptoms and was wondering if I could have some kind of brain tumor, possibly a pituitary tumor?

Past surgeries: tonsillectomy, and a removal of a benign tumor on the outside of my ear

Family history:
Father - diagnosed with lymphoma, poor vision
Mother - diagnosed with lupus
Grandmother (Dad's side) - stroke, high blood pressure
Grandmother's (Mom's side) - diabetes type 2
 Nalyh - Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:19 am

I would like to add that I've been getting tingling sensation and numbness in my feet and legs recently. I am short in stature.
 Dr. K. Eisele - Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:06 am

User avatar Dear Nalyh:

This is certainly an interesting constellation of symptoms. Your symptoms of poor vision within a relatively short time period and amenorrhea are suggestive of a pituitary tumor, but not diagnostic.

Are you extremely athletic, by any chance? Females who are very athletic can sometimes experience amenorrhea, as can those with anorexia, but you have a "healthy weight." Assuming that means that your BMI (body mass index) is at least 18 and not more than 25, even extreme athleticism would probably not explain the amenorrhea.

I think you should definitely see your physician for evaluation. The diagnosis can be as easy as a laboratory test (prolactin level), depending on the severity of the condition.

Good luck, and please come back to let us know what happens.
 Nalyh - Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:45 am

I've been to my family doctor and to the doctor at my school. They both only prescribe me birth control pills. Should I go to a neurologist instead?
 Dr. K. Eisele - Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:13 pm

User avatar Dear Nalyh:

If your family doctor failed to find any explanation at all, then I would recommend you see a gynecologist. They can do the prolactin level and any work-up necessary to rule-out other causes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here