Question: 1. Uneven pupils, why? 2. Is inversion for back pain safe?

Maffer - Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:18 am

First:
I've had periodically uneven pupils (my right is usually more dilated than the left during most days, but often they're both equal) for over a year, along with mild visual disturbances that come and go, while my vision remains good. I've consulted doctors who say they can't find anything wrong. So, is it possible that I just get uneven pupils and there's nothing to be worried about?

Second:
I've got a bit of neck and back pain that's muscular, and by hanging upside-down using Teeter Hang-Ups gravity boots and inversion table I can get a lot of relief from muscle pain. My plan is to hang upside-down for 5-10 minutes a day. I'm 19, very physically active (I go running around 5 miles several times a week and do a lot more exercise beside that) and skinny, and I have eased into hanging upside-down just as the product manufacturer advised. But before I make this a habit, is this safe for my brain and eyes?

Thanks in advance!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:26 pm

User avatar 1) Having unequal pupils occasionally can be normal. It is referred to as anisocoria. If you have been evaluated and everything was OK I would not be worried about it.

2) I am not familiar with any contraindications for inversion. It is probably safe (but I cannot say it is 100% safe as I simply don't know). I would not recommend hanging upside down for too long at a time. The time you are suggesting is likely fine. There should be no damage to your brain or eyes.

Maffer - Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:50 am

Many thanks :)

|