Question: why do bananas make my brain itch?

IntelligentMonkeyNYC - Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:16 pm

This is a simple question (I think), and one that comes more from curiosity than worry.

For as long as I can remember, whenever I eat certain foods I get this weird itch INSIDE my head as if my brain was actually itchy. It's always in the same spot, too: right above my left ear. It's never itched anywhere else. I haven't really been able to pin down what TYPE of foods do it, but I do know that bananas almost always cause the itchiness. I've never been too worried about it because it's never caused much of a problem. And I always forget to ask my general practice doctor about it when I see him. Sometimes it coincides with heatburn or indigestion.

Any idea what's going on or what could be in bananas that would do this?

I'm 26/male. Some family history of depression and bipolar, but otherwise completely healthy mentally and physically. No current meds or illnesses.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:13 pm

User avatar Itching from foods is generally due to an allergy to something in the food. It is unusual for it to cause itching just in one location (other than in the mouth).

You may want to see an allergist to see if you can identify which foods it is that trigger it.

A quick and easy test for allergies is to take some benadryl when you are having the itching. If it goes away it is likely to be allergies. If it does not it it less likely to be an allergy (although this doesn't rule it out).

|