Question: Light headedness, Head pressure, Impaired Vision & Fatig

Mom2TaylorNKate - Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:31 am

User avatar Hi Everyone.
I am a 30 year old female and have been having a horrible time with light headedness, pressure in the head, impaired vision, fatigue, and a persitent eye twitch since February 2007.
It all started one night in Feb while I was reading a book and lost my vision almost completely for almost an hour. What I could see was only a spot directly in front of me and looked like I was looking through water. After I regained my vision, I got a horrible headache that lasted for more than 2 weeks. When that subsided, I started feeling woozy and light headed. Like the feeling you get when you step off of an elevator. I had pressure behind my right eye and have had a VERY persitent eye twitch (it twitches all day long every day for almost the past year) I am also very tired all the time and have pressure in my head and ears. My vision is now as though my eyes are crossed and I really have to fight to keep my eyes focused.
I have been to the Dr SEVERAL times for my symtoms. They have done an MRI which showed a Paranasal Sinus Cyst (on my right side) and that's all. I am also Hypothyroid but am on medication (Synthroid) for it with within normal limits test results. (my last test showed a 3.4). They also had me do fasting blood work, and another test to check for any inflamation in my body (I think that's what it's called. I'm having a really hard time remembering anything these days) And all tests came back normal.
They have put me on the following medications (none of them have even relieved my symptoms at all)
*Flonase
*Nasarel
*Meclizine
*Loratadine
*Entex LA
*Loestrin FE 1/20
*Sudafed PE

Another thing is that this will subside for about a week a month to where I feel I can fully functional again and the day I have started my menstrual cycle since February, it starts up all over again. For 6 months in a row, the day I start my cycle, I start getting the light headedness and it just progresses for 3 weeks and then gives me a few days to a week off.

I am at my wits end with this. I have 2 small children that I take care of by myself. It is becoming more and more difficult to even clean my house. I used to work out every single day and now that just makes me feel like I am going to pass out. And between the light headedness and the vision impairment, I am afraid to drive anywhere anymore. The Dr's have now told me that they have no answers for what this may be and that the cyst will not cause any of these symptoms. Even though the cyst is on the right side of my sinuses and the right side of my head is where all my symptoms are. Oh and they did find that I have clear fluid behind both of my eardrums and said that this may be the cause of some of my symptoms but not all of them. I just have no idea what can be causing all of this and it's really starting to make me depressed and scared that they are missing something very serious. I have always been a healthy person and this has just been a nightmare.

At the present time, the only medications I am taking are
*Synthroid .1 mcg
*Acycolvir 800mg once daily (for cold sore supression as I get these really bad)
*Sudafed PE quick disolve strips 4x's daily &
*Loestrin FE 1/20.

If anyone can give me ANY insight on what this may be or any encouragement with this, I would appreciate it SO much. I just don't know what else to do as I have already seen 4 different Drs who all try to tell me it's just allergies or stress related. I have never in my life dealt with this before and just don't understand why it popped up now???

Anyway, thank you for reading this. I know it was long and I know I'm forgetting things. But I would really appreciate any help at all!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:14 pm

User avatar Hi Mom2TaylorNKate,

There are a few possibilities I can think of. One is that you are having a seizure (less likely) and the other is that you are having complex migraines.

Migraines (and seizures) can sometimes be triggered by the menstrual cycle, a condition known as catmenial migraines.

I would recommend you see a neurologist for a compete examination and to discuss possible treatments for these.

Mom2TaylorNKate - Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:46 pm

User avatar Thank you so much for your response Dr Lowe.
I have a question regarding the migraines that you suggested to look into. Is it possible that they would last for up to 3 weeks out of the month and only have light headedness and pressure in the head but without head pain? I have head pain occasionally, but it passes quickly. I moreso have pressure like a sinus infection and tooth abcess without any infection. I also have neck and right shoulder pain and difficulty speaking clearly (It feels as if I am drunk or very over tired). There are a few symptoms I forgot to add to my previous post and am remembering them today. I wanted to make sure they still line up with what you think this may be. I truly appreciate your time on this. It has been so frustrating to go to every Dr visit to leave with no answers and absolutely no hope of this ever being resolved. THANK YOU!!!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:32 pm

User avatar Three weeks of continuous symptoms without any break in between would be a bit unusual for a migraine. However, if it is going away and coming back very quickly this certainly could still be migraines.

Basilar artery migraines have been known to cause quite significant neurological symptoms. I still think this is worth looking into. Also, given your frequency of problems, if it is migraines I definitely think that you should try a preventative medicine.

Another thought I had was that this may be multiple sclerosis. If you have not had an MRI recently it may be helpful to have this done again to look for any changes.

Best wishes. Keep at it. Usually these things end up declaring themselves after a little while.
 patient0824 - Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:50 am

I am a 20 year old female with a history of PSVT and asthma. As of recently (about 2 weeks now) I have been experiencing pressure in my head. This does not feel like much of a headache, there is not severe pain just constant pressure (mostly in the back lower head region). I have also been experiencing light headedness and vision changes since the onset of my pressure headaches. I feel so dizzy and confused most of the time and onset seems to worsen when changing from a laying down position to a standing position. When i do stand up i have "blackouts" in which i lose my vision for a couple of seconds and it slowly returns. Besides my "blackouts", other vision changes include seeing blurry shapes and colors as if i had floaters or scotomas(seeing motion, shapes, colors), diffuculty focusing eyes of one thing, and blurry vision if looking at a the same thing for a couple minutes.
I have seen an optometrist and my vision is normal and there is no detached retina or floater in my eyes, i have been to the hospital emergency room with complaints of slight chest pain and tingling/pricking sensation starting in the arms (dominant in left side) and gradually spreading through out lest of limbs and body. Ekg has shown PSVT and palpitations but no sign of heart disease as of yet. My heart beat can been seen in the chest, stomach, neck in laying down position and felt in my hands, legs, arms, stomach, exterior chest. Finally an extreme case of fatigue/lethargy. I feel so weak and without energy, and any slight movements accelerates my heart as if i have been doing cardio workouts.
My question is : Do my symptoms coincide with heart disease/ heart failure?
or is it something that is related to my nervous system/brain?

what are these symptoms typical of?

p.s i have been sick with typhoid fever, could this be a recurrence?

|