News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Ulnar nerve damage & carpal tunnel

Shadow_ Dancer - Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:36 pm

HI....
I am 53, F, Cardiac TX (10 yrs), Ulnar damage both arms, carpel tunnel Lt, arm. Diagnosed over 1 year ago. Electrical test done with neurosurgeon.

Left hand/fingers completely numb, except middle finger. Severe muscle (?) cramps in hand & fingers, causing fingers to clutch. Wrist & top of hand also numb. Pain in forearm.

In the past month I have had pain in my neck & shoulder. The pain travels from the neck & shoulder down my arm. Is this from the Ulnar nerve?

I have tried cortisone injections and other than being very painful they only seem to help for a day or two.

I am having considerable trouble finding a surgeon that will operate on my arm. The surgeon that I went to said that I did need surgery, and explained what would happen if I did not get it, but because of my TX he would not preform it. (Which is rather mind boggling cosidering....., the only difference between me having surgery & U having surgery is that I need pre & post steroids) At any rate, is there anything that I can do to alleviate the pain and clutching? Also is there a non surgical treatment available that would work?
Thank you.
Shadow_Dancer
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:20 pm

User avatar HI Shadow_Dancer,

Generally, if surgery is needed there isn't much that will help except surgery. However, you may want to consider seeing a neurologist for an evaluation. They may know of some treatments that I am not familiar with.

The pain down your arm may be from the ulnar nerve, or it may be from one of the other nerves that run down the arm. The neurologist can help determine this also.

I would advise you to continue searching for a surgeon that will operate if needed. It may be helpful to get a letter from your cardiac surgeon stating what is needed for surgery from your heart's standpoint. This may help alleviate the orthopedic surgeons concerns.

Best wishes.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here