Question: A fall causes trauma to head, now numbness to left side head

Macnmo - Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:02 pm

My wife recently fell backwards and hit the lower part of the back of her skull and shoulder on a heavy metal bar. She needed 7 staples to close the head wound and ER took Xrays and did a CT. Exray read by ER doctor who said no broken bones and CT came back "normal".
The ER visit was 2 days ago, but yesterday my wife said that the left side of her forehead was numb and it is still the same today. I checked behind her ear for any occipital swelling but there was none.
Any idea what may be causing this numbness to her forehead?
JMM
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:13 pm

User avatar Hi Macnmo,

The forehead receives its sensation from cranial nerve number 5. It would be very difficult to damage this nerve by falling on the back of the head since it runs through the inside of the skull for most of its course.

It may be that she has a concussive syndrome where the brain area that is responsible for this are of sensation is temporarily not functioning.

It is important for her to have a thorough neurological examination to see if there are any other deficits noticed. I would recommend she see her doctor as soon as possible if this numbness is still present. I think it is unlikely that anything bad is going on but with issues like this it is better to be safe.

|