Question: Undiagnosed Symptoms

Poda - Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:53 am

I've posted various times over the past few months, but I want to consolidate it here. Basically, I'm just looking for any suggestions of what to look into next. Here are my symptoms:

The onset was sudden, starting about 2 years ago. The symptoms consist of lower back pain, buttock pain, burning, tingling on the left side, rectal pain/pressure, pain along the right and underside of urethra, right scrotal pain, right hip pain, some numbness/sensory changes near the urethral/top of scrotal area, and problems urinating and with bowel movements.

I've had a large urological workup, and it continues to be non-revealing. I've had cystoscopy, pelvic ct, many urine studies, retrograde pyelogram, ivp, scrotal ultrasound, and tried various antibiotics. I've also had 2 colonoscopies a lot of blood work. Nothing is revealing. So, I'm starting to consider another possible cause. I have had an MRI from T1 to S5, but that isn't revealing and a back doctor told me it doesn't show any sign of a problem that would cause my symptoms. The first time I went to a neurologist, he said go back to the urologist. So, I did, and they repeated some stuff and did a cystoscopy. Still nothing. The 2nd time, they just sort of blew me off. So, I am holding off again until I can figure out a good plan. My current thoughts are to consider a neurologist and rheumatologist.

I was wondering if the doctors have any advice on where to look next? Some things I want to consider are nerve problems, like the pudendal nerve, or maybe some type of pelvic floor hernia or something to explain the problems using the bathroom. It's getting frustrating.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:40 am

User avatar There is no question this would be frustrating. Either of the options you mention would be worth pursuing.

Since you have seen a neurologist who referred you for further workup, it would certainly be appropriate to return now with the results so he/she can continue to search for the problem. That would probably be my next step. I wish we could give you something more concrete here but as you are learning, sometimes diagnosis is a process of elimination until something definite becomes apparent after ruling out everything else.

|