News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Trouble distinguishing between dreams & reality

castle43 - Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:25 pm

My 19 yr old son called to ask if he had talked to me about something or if he had dreamt it. I told him we had talked about it a couple of days ago. He said he feels like he just woke up (but he hasn't been asleep for 9 hours) and can't remember things. He can't remember if things happened or if he dreamt them. He has no hx of drug or alcohol use. He is a music major and depends on his clear mind; that what worries me. He's always said he has a bad memory; but now I'm really worried that he's unable to distinguish reality from thoughts/dreams and it's gotten worse in the last week. Could this be a brain tumor? Could it be stress/depression? There is no hx of schizophrenia in our family. He said there's no way anyone is putting anything in his drinks or food. I'm very worried. Thanks.
 castle43 - Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:15 pm

I just wrote the above about my 19 yr old son and I needed to add that he is not currently on any medications. He suffered from anxiety, severe night terrors and ADHD when he was a little boy. He is adamant about not seeing a doctor or taking meds. Please help!
 Mastodon33 - Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:16 am

Hello My name is Adam, I am 23, and have been diagnosed with both anxiety and panic disorder as well as what was explained to me as an extremely unique case of ADD. The ADD is supposedly from both sides of my family and I have constant difficulty knowing what I have talked about with people, what I have done, and to a lesser degree where I have been the day before. I take adderal and Klonopin.
I find my mind to be a very frustrating thing, and this is only one aspect that is such. However I would recommend telling your son, to make a journal of each time he questions reality, to write descriptively and include all aspects of what was going on in his life around the time. Perhaps you'll get lucky and find a common trigger or circumstance.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here