Question: follow up on CT Scan?

Lisabb - Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:04 am

I recently had a CT brain scan because I have been having dull headaches that never go away, fatigue, muscle and joint pain. My GP is not that worried about the CT findings but I read them and do not know what to think. The findings are:

There is an area of CSF attenuation seen just medial to the tentorium cerebelli on the left side. It is difficult to determine whether this area represents a loss in volume of tissue as a result of previous ischemia or infarction in the superior aspect of the left cerebellar hemisphere versus an arachnoid cyst. The former is more likely. There is loss of volume superior cerebellar vermian spaces. The area of concern is approximately 2 cm in size.

Thank You
Lisabb
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:50 pm

User avatar Hi Lisabb,

Arachnoid cysts are very common and are generally an incidental finding with no consequences.

If the area is a small area of volume loss due to a previous ischemic event (stroke) it is likely that the area is not significant if you are still doing well.

The more concerning thing about it being a stroke is that you may be at risk for future strokes. Follow up with your doctor is important.

|