News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: follow up on CT Scan?

Lisabb - Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:04 am

I recently had a CT brain scan because I have been having dull headaches that never go away, fatigue, muscle and joint pain. My GP is not that worried about the CT findings but I read them and do not know what to think. The findings are:

There is an area of CSF attenuation seen just medial to the tentorium cerebelli on the left side. It is difficult to determine whether this area represents a loss in volume of tissue as a result of previous ischemia or infarction in the superior aspect of the left cerebellar hemisphere versus an arachnoid cyst. The former is more likely. There is loss of volume superior cerebellar vermian spaces. The area of concern is approximately 2 cm in size.

Thank You
Lisabb
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:50 pm

User avatar Hi Lisabb,

Arachnoid cysts are very common and are generally an incidental finding with no consequences.

If the area is a small area of volume loss due to a previous ischemic event (stroke) it is likely that the area is not significant if you are still doing well.

The more concerning thing about it being a stroke is that you may be at risk for future strokes. Follow up with your doctor is important.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here