News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Tingly, Funny Sensation in face,throat, arms,legs, body

jerseygirl82 - Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:52 pm

Hi, I am a 24 year old healthy female, which for the past month and a half, have been having tinlgy sensations. It all started the last week of June.I was sitting down about to eat some soup, and all of a sudden I felt weak, dizzy, and my throat felt numb. I had started feeling off balance & vertigo, it became very concerning, so I went to the ER. They blamed sinus, and a little fluid in the ear. I went home on Nasonex and Antivert. I started taking those meds. It didn't really help. Then I started having stomach problems, like loose stools, soft, and lots of funny, gassy noises,belching. I then developed a tingly feeling,like a light pressure in my face, it went into my lips, my tounge, down my arms, my feet, stomach, just my body in general and some palpitations, bad headaches. It affects different areas, sometimes I am not anxious and i start having the sensations. I went to my PCP, and my blood results were normal, I had a CT Scan without contrast, a fasting glucose(not a tolerance test), and everything has came back normal.
My PCP is stating that it's Anxiety. She referred me to a Neurologist. The Neurologist examined me. She checked my reflexes, my eyes, balance, also did vibrations on my feet, and she poked me with sharp objects( Which I felt each poke) she stated that everything was normal. F/up in 2months. She also stated she feels it's anxiety and referred me to a psych. I have made the appt to see the psych. All of the symptoms, EXCEPT the tingling, palpitations, and headaches have went away, and now I'm having some little muscle twitches(last for like 2 or 3 seconds). I am freaking out because I've been reading up on MS and neuropathy. I'm really scared. Can these symptoms be anxiety? I've also been told that it could be migraines. Can anxiety symptoms just arise without feeling anxious? Can they last for an hour or more? Is there any other tests that I should ask the Neuro to do? She did state that she is going to have send me for an EMG just to allieviate my anxiety and concerns. I'm sorry I'm asking so much questions. I'm just worried. I'm rarely sick. Thanks for your time.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:39 pm

User avatar Hi Jerseygirl82,

MS can certainly cause symptoms such as this; however, one would have expected to see some changes consistent with MS on the CT scan (although an MRI is better and there is a small chance the changes may have been missed).

Migraines are an interesting possibility. They can certainly cause neurological changes, particularly basilar artery migraines.

Doing the EMG will evaluate the peripheral nerves for any problems.

Anxiety can cause tingling feelings. Typically, the symptoms are not quite so long lasting and during the episodes one would generally feel a sense of anxiety. They may be brought on without any obvious stimuli but usually the symptoms give a rapid heart rate and a feeling of anxiousness.

Follow up with your neurologist is important.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here