News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: nack pain with pins and needled across shoulder

anniek - Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:21 pm

Hi, i am a 51yo female and i have severe pins and needles running across my shoulders at base of neck. i had a twisting injury 11 months ago and was told i had a cervical strain. since then i have neck pain and stiffness, headaches in back left side, pain down left arm and in elbow. i have stabbing pain on occasion in right thumb. i have awoken with left finger numbness with pain. simple lifting, raising right arm up and moving head forward cause pain and numbness. no past history or family history. had medial left arthroscopic surgery.
thanks marcy
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:55 pm

User avatar Hi Marcy,

Your symptoms sound like you may have a disc in your neck that is compressing your spinal nerves.

I would recommend you see your doctor to discuss your symptoms and be evaluated for this problem.

Best wishes.
 anniek - Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:30 am

Hi, i had an mri of the c-spine which came back negative. i saw a neurosurgeon who read the results and advised me that i have a bruised spine and that
the numbness, pain, and pins and needles in neck and across shoulders will never go away. i also have bouts of severe pain traveling down left arm into hand and terrible pain in my elbow. is there not a diagnostic test that would show what is causing all this pain and numbness? also, how is a diagnosis made of a bruised spine. how does one know it is bruised? thanks for your time
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:21 pm

User avatar I'm not particularly familiar with a "bruised spine". Perhaps physical therapy will be of some benefit.

The neurosurgeon has ruled out the need for surgery at this point, it would appear. You may want to see a neurologist for further evaluation and treatment recommendations. The neurologist may be able to recommend some different evaluations to better determine what is causing your pain and if there are any other treatments available.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here