Question: nack pain with pins and needled across shoulder

anniek - Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:21 pm

Hi, i am a 51yo female and i have severe pins and needles running across my shoulders at base of neck. i had a twisting injury 11 months ago and was told i had a cervical strain. since then i have neck pain and stiffness, headaches in back left side, pain down left arm and in elbow. i have stabbing pain on occasion in right thumb. i have awoken with left finger numbness with pain. simple lifting, raising right arm up and moving head forward cause pain and numbness. no past history or family history. had medial left arthroscopic surgery.
thanks marcy
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:55 pm

User avatar Hi Marcy,

Your symptoms sound like you may have a disc in your neck that is compressing your spinal nerves.

I would recommend you see your doctor to discuss your symptoms and be evaluated for this problem.

anniek - Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:30 am

Hi, i had an mri of the c-spine which came back negative. i saw a neurosurgeon who read the results and advised me that i have a bruised spine and that
the numbness, pain, and pins and needles in neck and across shoulders will never go away. i also have bouts of severe pain traveling down left arm into hand and terrible pain in my elbow. is there not a diagnostic test that would show what is causing all this pain and numbness? also, how is a diagnosis made of a bruised spine. how does one know it is bruised? thanks for your time
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:21 pm

User avatar I'm not particularly familiar with a "bruised spine". Perhaps physical therapy will be of some benefit.

The neurosurgeon has ruled out the need for surgery at this point, it would appear. You may want to see a neurologist for further evaluation and treatment recommendations. The neurologist may be able to recommend some different evaluations to better determine what is causing your pain and if there are any other treatments available.

|