News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Facial numbness and inability to close eye after head injury

candilyn - Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:11 pm

Age 51, Male, About 12 hours after being hit on the head by a vice grip my husband begin experiencing facial numbness from the lips up the left side of his cheek bone and is unable to blink with his left eye. Now, 24 hours after the injury, the symptoms seem to be easing up but have not resolved and he refuses to seek medical treatment. Should I be concerned and force his to seek treatment. He was hit toward the left side top of the head. There is no visible swelling and he does not have a headache. There was no dizziness at the time of the injury or loss of conciousness only a bad headache. He is not on any medications at this point.
 dlugose - Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:34 pm

candilyn wrote:Age 51, Male, About 12 hours after being hit on the head by a vice grip my husband begin experiencing facial numbness from the lips up the left side of his cheek bone and is unable to blink with his left eye. Now, 24 hours after the injury, the symptoms seem to be easing up but have not resolved and he refuses to seek medical treatment. Should I be concerned and force his to seek treatment. He was hit toward the left side top of the head. There is no visible swelling and he does not have a headache. There was no dizziness at the time of the injury or loss of conciousness only a bad headache. He is not on any medications at this point.

He should of course be examined by a doctor as soon as possible. Aside from the possibility of permanent nerve damage, there is also a possibility of brain damage. I suspect he does not want to see a doctor anyways. It is possible the nerve damage will heal on its own, but what a risk he is taking! If he is afraid of legal trouble for himself or the other person, have him ask a lawyer if the doctor would be required to report what he found.
I hope in this relationship you are not often dealing with problems that your husband involves you in. Perhaps one or both of you could also use some counseling? If you can't look after your husband, at least look after yourself. Please take care.
 candilyn - Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:27 pm

Thank you for the reply. He finally agreed to go to the doctor and after a CT scan for head injury and an MRI for a possible stroke, it was determined that the hit on the head and the symptoms developing a few hours laters was a conincidence and he was diagnosed with Bells Palsy. He follows up with a neurologist next week. Again, thanks.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here