News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: numbness in thumb, tightness near armpit area

jackie1213 - Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:21 pm

Hello,

i am a 22 year old female. For a couple of months i've been having a "lack of oxygen flow" type feeling in my right armpit area whenever i exercised. Lately it has been happening more as i just sit. I have also had a wrist injury while playing tennis and it still slightly hurts (i'm not sure if this has anything to do with it).

Anyway, suddenly, about a couple of days ago, i noticed a tingling feeling between my thumb area and index finger area. It feels just like when i hit my "funny bone"

i am overweight (150lbs) and 5' 1'' .

Thank you so much for your time
 Marceline F, RN - Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:52 am

User avatar Dear Jackie1213,
I notice that you mention that you have noted your symptoms when you are exercising. In thinking back recently, have you possibly strained your right arm during one of your workouts? Most people are right handed, and tend to rely heavily on their dominant side for support. This can be very apparent during certain types of exercises. Are you lifting free weights? Are you doing pull-ups or push-ups? A muscle strain can contribute to the feelings you are having. So can a partial subluxation in your neck relative to a severe muscle strain. I would suggest you first give your arm a rest for a week or so from strenuous exercise, and try alternating applications of heat and cold to your upper back on the right side. If rest makes the symptoms lessen, you may wish to rest that arm until the symptoms have dissipated completely. If at any time, however, the symptoms are worse, change in the intensity or quality of the pain, or you lose functionality, I suggest you present to the local ER or to your primary MD for formal evaluation. OTC meds such as Tylenol (namebrand) or Motrin (namebrand) or their generic counterparts may alleviate some of the discomfort.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here