Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Is it a headache or something more?

Chanissa1 - Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:58 am

Hi I am a 27 year old female. I have been under a lot of stress lately. I suffer from anxiety. Lately I have been feeling a sharp stabbing pain on the left side of my temple which goes behind my left eye which causes me to close my eye till the pain is gone. The pain will sometimes go to the top left side of my head, a burning tingling sensation or goes to the back of my head. Sometimes I feel like a nerve or something is about to burst. I wake up at night from the pain. The pain comes on throughout the day. I also tend to clench or grind my teeth at night. My jaws will be sore. I also have a lot of tension & pain on my neck especially the left side. I do sometimes see little flashes of light or get dizzy.I also have been feeling more tired & weak. My hands sometimes shake, but I do not know if it is just my nerves from all the stress I am under.I have had these pains for the past two weeks. I do not know if it has anything to do with me getting off my medication propranolol. I was off it for about four days then the headaches came on more frequently. Today the headaches have not been so bad. Although I have been feeling pressure on the bridge of my nose or cheeks sometimes on my forehead.. I used to feel these pains when I my first panic attak. I had my first panic attack about 3 years ago. I was prescribed paxil, but got off thinking I got better. I was off paxil for about a year or so. Recently I have been under a lot of stress from our recent move, new job & family issues. I went to the doctor & they placed me back on paxil, it made me feel worse. i had to stop at the fire station because I was shaking & was having shortness of breath & chest pains.I think I was having another panic attack. They took my blood pressure it was up to 150. I went too the doctor the next day, he told me to get off the paxil & gave me some propranolol & hydroxyzine.I told him about my headaches. They say it is migrane & stress related. I tried that for a couple of weeks. I still did not feel any better.I no longer take those medications. I had another attack & went to the hospital & they prescribed clonazepam when needed. I am no loger taking that medication either. All the doctors say I am suffering from anxiety other than that I am healthy. They did a blood tests, thyroid, urine, and whiteblood tests. Everything was normal. They say my blood pressure is normal. The propranolol was to slow my heart down. I have also gotten my eyes checked. Things from a distance have gotten blurred. My left eye seems to be much worse than my right. The doctor says I will need the glasses when I am driving or at night. I am a frequent vistor to the doctors office. I feel like I am losing my mind. I have had 2 ekgs done. My heart is fine, but my head still feels worse. I also got into an accident ten years ago. I got hit by a car crossing the street. I have a plate on my left checkbone. They had to take a bone from my skull for my fractured cheekbone on the left. They also had to make the incision on the left side of my face. One of the doctors say my headaches might be caused from my nerves where they had surgery.I also still have my anxiety attacks. Please help. Is it just anxiety? Am I just suffering from tension, cluster, migranes, or chronic headaches or something more?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:51 pm

User avatar I assume you have seen a neurologist, but if not, this would be a good place to start in trying to figure out what is really going on. Headache can be a very difficult thing to pin down but this kind of specialist should be able to give it the best shot. The anxiety would best be managed by a psychiatrist and mental health therapist. Usually it requires both approaches - medicine and therapy. Good luck with this frustrating problem. I am glad to hear you are in good health otherwise. That will make it easier for you to cope.

Chanissa1 - Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:58 am

Thank you.( Debbie Miller) I will try to see a neurologist as soon as I get a job. I tried to see one but they required payment up front. My headaches do still come on. Yesterday they were not so bad. I notice if I am under a lot of stress they become more severe. Still on my left side they go from my left temple to the the back of my head on the left.I have also started burping constantly. I feel like I am falling apart. If it is not one thing it's another. I wish it will just all go away. Thank you for replying.

|