News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: stem cell treatments, trials etc

bernard - Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:23 pm

thank you for reading my question. i would like to ask a question related to stem cells which is general to some extent. i will give you more details of my condition if necessary.

Firstly however i would like to say the following:

My health state has been very badly represented by local health bodies for along time. Here even critical medical records about me had been conveniently destroyed. In thought this was very suspicious. My attempts at contacting doctors elsewhere have been blocked or interfered with. I certainly don't question the integrity of this website or your doctors. However, please don't allow anyone to interfere with your opinions or stop you giving me information. I apologise in having to bring this to your attention.

MY QUESTION:

My question is basically simple but, obviously may be difficult to answer. My muscle (skeletal, legs mainly) became enlarged and or inflamed to similar extent as would happen to a heart muscle after a heart attack. This condition has persisted in my skeletal muscle and some atrophying has occured along with this. Could an attempt be made to repair the skeletal muscle by using stem cells as is being done in some trials for hearts. I understand that heart muscle is toneless and bone marrow stem cells are generally limited in application. However is there some equivalent stem cell procedure that could be or is actually being pursued for skeletal muscle. I am not asking you to advise me to do this but, i simply want to know if it can be done and if anyone anywhere is doing it.

If there are stem cell trials or therapies for skeletal muscle could you please inform me where.

again thank you for your help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:56 am

User avatar Hello Bernard,

Stem cell research is certainly a hot topic right now. Embryonic stem cell research so far has really not panned out very well. There are some very encouraging studies going on with Adult stem cell research, however.

I am not aware of any specific use of stem cells to repair skeletal muscle but they certainly may exist. Even with adult stem cell breakthroughs the technology is still a little ways away from really being available for use on a regular basis. I am not aware of any clinical trials involving skeletal muscle at this point.

Regarding the trials, I am not directly involved with this area of research so my knowledge on currently open trials is a bit limited. There may be trials going on that I am not aware of. Perhaps the National Institute of Health could provide you with more information on this.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here