Question: Random numbness and swelling

jamienlv - Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:12 am

Recently my daughter, age 21, was involved in a side collision in her vehicle. She was the restrained driver, hit on the drivers side door at low speed. She experienced pain (whiplash) and headaches. She went to a physical therapist 2 days ago and has since had swelling and numbness in her right hand and arm. Next she had swelling and numbness in her left palm and forefinger. Then the same happened to her left foot. Today she had numbness and swelling in her upper lip. The swelling is easily seen. She claims that the area itched prior to each episode of swelling and numbness. I am at a loss and the therapist answered that he didn't think it had to do with the neck problem when he was called at the onset of the first symptoms. She is taking the low dosage of Lortabs very sparingly till she can see her primary care doctor.
Do I need to Make her go to the Emergency Room and get checked?? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank You.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:58 pm

User avatar Hi Jamienlv,

It would be hard for a spinal cord problem to cause all these symptoms. Multiple sclerosis could do this and stress can induce an attack.

It is also possible that her symptoms are actually coming from higher up in the brain and may be related to some remaining swelling of the brain from the accident.

I would recommend that she follow up with her doctor soon. It doesn't sound like she necessarily needs to run to the emergency room at this point, although if her pain or symptoms get worse this may be appropriate.

|