News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Random numbness and swelling

jamienlv - Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:12 am

Recently my daughter, age 21, was involved in a side collision in her vehicle. She was the restrained driver, hit on the drivers side door at low speed. She experienced pain (whiplash) and headaches. She went to a physical therapist 2 days ago and has since had swelling and numbness in her right hand and arm. Next she had swelling and numbness in her left palm and forefinger. Then the same happened to her left foot. Today she had numbness and swelling in her upper lip. The swelling is easily seen. She claims that the area itched prior to each episode of swelling and numbness. I am at a loss and the therapist answered that he didn't think it had to do with the neck problem when he was called at the onset of the first symptoms. She is taking the low dosage of Lortabs very sparingly till she can see her primary care doctor.
Do I need to Make her go to the Emergency Room and get checked?? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank You.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:58 pm

User avatar Hi Jamienlv,

It would be hard for a spinal cord problem to cause all these symptoms. Multiple sclerosis could do this and stress can induce an attack.

It is also possible that her symptoms are actually coming from higher up in the brain and may be related to some remaining swelling of the brain from the accident.

I would recommend that she follow up with her doctor soon. It doesn't sound like she necessarily needs to run to the emergency room at this point, although if her pain or symptoms get worse this may be appropriate.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here