News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: car accident/neck

bigsplash4 - Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:51 pm

Hi I was in a car accident four days ago. I have some xrays done, and was wondering what the final report means, if there was damage done or if it could cause long term pain. "Five view cervical spine including obliques. No evidence for acute fracture, dislocation, disc space narrowing, nor soft tissue swelling. Tip of the odontoid is obscured on the open-mouth view. Minimal posterior spondylosis c3-c4 and c6-c7. Left C2-C3 and to a lesser degree c5-c6 formaminal narrowing noted. Mild right c3-c4 foraminal narrowing may be present.

There is no radiology part so I posted here. Please help, thanks for your time.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:29 pm

User avatar Hi Bigsplash4,

From this report it sounds as if they did not see any evidence of problems caused by the accident.

The narrowing and the spondylosis (slight degeneration of the joint) that they are seeing may be incidental findings and are unlikely to cause any problems. These are very common findings as a person gets older. If for some reason, these things progress to become more severe they may begin causing you some neck pain in the future.

The comment about the odontoid process means they could see the very top parts (C1 and C2) well from the x-rays.

Best wishes.
 goodgirl1976 - Wed May 13, 2009 1:42 pm

I was also in a car accident on October 31, 2008. I had x-rays done as well but they found no evidence of any damage to the spine. I was feeling not to bad for a while after the accident but now the right side of my neck is swollen with swelling over the base of my cervical spine. I am also having tingling in my hands and feet as well as bad headaches, neck pain and back pain. I was prescribed Ibuprofen 400 mg three times a day and am taking Tylenol #1 with codeine and have found no relief. I have been on the Ibuprofen for 1 week now and the only changes I have found have been that the inside of my ear has swollen almost completely shut and my face is now starting to swell as well. I have not found any relief from my head aches or pain nor has the swelling gone down. I can say that injuries after an accident don't always show up right after the accident some like mine take a few months to show.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here