News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: having strange pains in my head

nat75 - Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:00 pm

hi, im a 31 year old woman. i have been having these strange pains in my brain for a while now (i think my brain, lol) it is all over my brain, in the back, front, side, etc... they last for maybe 30 seconds then go away, then a few minutes later i will feel it in another part of my head, then little while later somewhere else. it kind of feels like a stabbing pain. right now it is not very big pain, maybe a 4 or 5 out of 10. and it seems to come anytime. in the morning, at night, when im going to bed or reading or whatever.

i don't have it every day, sometime i can go maybe a week or more and not have it. and sometimes i have it only 1 or 2 times a day. i went to see family doctor about it a while ago, but she didnt even really do anything. i think she thought i was crazy when i said i have weird pains in my head.

can this be a brain tumor? or something else? whenever i tell someone about it they look at me like im crazy. im not on any medications, and there is no family history of anything like this.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:41 pm

User avatar Hi Nat75,

This is rather perplexing. I'm having a hard time coming up with anything that could cause this type of an issue. Perhaps it is brief muscle spams. You may want to have your electrolytes checked to see if any of them are abnormal (particularly calcium, potassium, and magnesium).

It doesn't particularly sound like a brain tumor type pain. Brain tumor pain is more commonly described as severe headaches, worse in the morning often and the pain can wake a person from sleep. Interestingly brain tumors don't always present with pain, they often present with some other problem.

It would be a very atypical presentation if your pain was being caused by seizures. I really think this is unlikely. Similarly, it doesn't sound like migraine pain.

If your pain persists you may want to see a neurologist to see if they have any ideas.

Best wishes. Sorry I can't be of more help.
 pkruft - Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:08 pm

I have an uncle of mine who experiances these same symptoms, is it possible that this could be a parasite of some sort? Only reason I think this is because he has had it for twelve years and believes it may have happend on a scuba diving trip in which he bumped his head into some rocks (not sure). ALSO, I read where it said that that parasites like certain foods and things such as alcohol and when he drinks, eats certain things the pain/symptoms seem to go away for periods of time (it also seems to quit when he swims). Another symptom he has is sore throats maybe this could be part of it too? Maybe together we can figure this out and find some sort of treatment for this.
Thanks, Paul

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here