Question: TIA and pregnancy

lilylenay - Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:00 am

I am a 21 year old female:
It was never confirmed but when i was 2 days away from giving birth to my daughter(August 2006) I am sure that I had what is called a mini stroke. I have asked my doctor about this and told her the symptoms I had and she said it sounded like it could have been that. I'll go ahead and tell you my symptoms and things that were going on in that pregnancy

1-I woke up very disoriented but didn't think too much of it
2-I couldn't walk straight I felt almost drunk
3- sentences made sense in my head but when they came out my words were scrambled and No matter how slowly i spoke i couldn't make them come out right
4-I had a massive headache that immediatley brought me to tears
these symtoms lasted maybe 2 hours but i felt completely drained afterwords and slept for a long time

From 6 months on in the pregnancy My blood pressure stayed pretty high. The day we left the hospital after having my daughter my blood pressure was 111/157. before getting pregnant i weighed 103 the day i gave birth i wieghed 160 pounds and i am 5 foot 1. what i want to know is do you think that is what happened to me and if so could i have another child without risking the same thing happening again. I really would like to have another child but am afraid to try because of this. Thank you for your time and help. also if you don't think thats what it was is it still something i should be concerned with? thanks again
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:46 pm

User avatar Hi Lilylenay,

"Mini-strokes" or transient ischemic attacks can cause the symptoms you experienced. Pregnancy makes a woman's blood more likely to clot due to increased estrogen. This can lead to increased risk of strokes.

Another possibility is that you may have had an episode of elevated blood pressure, although this really doesn't fit that well.

You may want to discuss with your doctor about doing some blood work to test for clotting disorders. If you do have one of these the risk of clots goes up.

Unfortunately I cannot comment regarding your risks with future pregnancies because we really don't know what this was for sure. You may want to speak to a fetal medicine specialist (a high-risk obstetrician) to see if they can give you any more specific information.

|