News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: which test will best show seizure activity

susieQ1 - Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:02 pm

I have Meniere's, migraines & have been diagnosed with temporal lobe seizures. I'm trying to figure out what my latest symptom is caused from. It comes on suddenly, I feel like I am about to be taken back to a memory I've either experienced or had b/4. Is this Deja vue (sp?) It lasts only a moment. I don't lose consciousness but when my head clears I have a slight one sided headache & fullness in that side of my face as if I have had a meniere's attack. I feel tired.
I have had ct scan & mri a few years ago. MRI showed scar on brain which could have been caused from an accident, stroke, or severe migraines. Cat scan was ok at that time.

Is there any test that will show what is causing this? I can't tell is it's from migraine, meniere's or seizure. I feel sure my last episode was brought on by taking estrogen. Thanks for your help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:33 pm

User avatar Hi SusieQ1,

To look for seizures, an EEG is about the best test we have currently. Unfortunately, in between seizures, the EEG may be normal in some cases. To make the EEG more sensitive, video EEG monitoring can be done where the person is hooked up to a continuous EEG machine and is video taped. Then, when the patient experiences the symptoms the body reactions can be correlated with the brain waves during an event to see if the symptoms correlate to seizure activity in the brain.

Your symptoms may be due to an EEG or migraine. Both could easily explain your symptoms. I would recommend you discuss your symptoms with a neurologist to determine the best tests for you.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here