Forum Name: Headaches

Question: recurring headache in seven year old girl

jolly - Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:13 am

My daughter, age 7, has been having recurring headaches for the past several months. On average she has about 3 a week. They come on suddenly and she complains that they are quite painful. When one starts she will complain of sharp pain (kind of like an ice cream headache she says) and press on her forehead with her hands.

When she has one she prefers to sit or lie down in a dimly lit place with little noise and she waits out her headache. The headaches usually do not last terribly long, perhaps 30 minutes to an hour.

We have tried to figure out what is triggering the headaches but we can't seem to find a common cause. She has had headaches at school, at home, during the day, in the evenings, even during times when she is doing something fun like playing with friends or participating in an acitivity she really enjoys. When a headache starts she will stop whatever she is doing hold her head and just want to lie down somewhere.

Once the headache is gone, she is back to her old self. Our daughter is healthy and has had no major health problems. She doesn not have vision problems. She is not on any medication. We do occasionaly give her childrens Tylenol for pain, but we first wait to see if the headache will go away on its own. She is happy and social, enjoys school and is an overall content child. It is just these headaches that are interupting her life and causing her pain several times a week. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:22 pm

User avatar Hi Jolly,

It sounds as if she may be having migraines. Cluster headaches are possible although it doesn't sound classic for these.

I would recommend that you have your daughter evaluated by her pediatrician to discuss these headaches.

If her headaches are this frequent she may need to take a controlling type medicine to help prevent her from getting her headaches.

jolly - Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:08 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. I took my daughter to the doctor a few weeks ago. The doctor said she probably just had a sinus infection, so she ordered xrays. Sure enough, the nurse called to tell me the xrays showed a sinus infection. I was surprised because my daughter had not shown any symptoms other than the headaches. She hasn't had a fever, or a cough, or even a runny nose. But we were very happy at the thought that antibiotics would alleviate the headache problem.

My daughter has now been on the antibiotics for a little over two weeks and has still had three headaches during that time. The most recent was two days ago. I don't know if she just hasn't been on the medicine long enough, or if I should be concerned that the headaches are still there. If the headaches continue, could that mean the sinus infection and the headaches were not related? We just really want the headaches to go away once and for all. Thanks for your input. I very much appreciate it.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:44 pm

User avatar Hi Jolly,

Sinus pressure can cause headaches. It can take a week or two for this pressure to begin to improve.

If her headaches don't improve she should follow up with her doctor again.

|