Question: Extreme fatigue after a hard pregnancy

KrisMax - Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:19 pm

Hi, I am a 23 year old female and I have a 7 month old daughter. I had a really hard pregnancy and lost over half my blood. Once I got home I recovered fine and have been feeling ok the last few months but recently been feeling awful. I have a doctors appt. booked but not until next week and was wonder if you could tell me if this sounds like something serious or if I should just wait until next week. I am extremely tired to the point where I try not to drive because I can't seem to focus. I find I can't focus as well as usual while still as well. I've had a history of migraines but haven't been having many lately. I also fall over a lot while just standing still, almost like someone pushed me, I have blurred vision and find I have a mind like when I was pregnant and forget simple words. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:05 pm

From what I am able to tell you should be evaluated as soon as possible. Try calling your doctor's office and informing them that your symptoms are not going away or that they are progressing (if that is indeed the case).

Did you have any problems breastfeeding your child?
 KrisMax - Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:14 pm

I tried breastfeeding but my daughter was having a little trouble latching and I also found it to so much harder because I was so wore out after the birth so I just switched to the bottle that night.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:08 pm

User avatar Okay but you can lactate? Some women are unable to lactate at all due to a hormonal problem after a difficult pregnancy or delivery. This is a serious condition known as Sheehan's syndrome. So if you can produce milk then this is probably not the case.

All the same you will need to be evaluated for other causes. I would be unable to give you a meaningful list of the causes of fatigue as this could include almost anything but a good approach would be to get examined and do some tests.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
 KrisMax - Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:50 am

So would you assume that my other symptoms are also due to the fatigue?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:00 pm

Actually you have what we call in medicine a range of nonspecific complaints. This just means you cannot take the symptoms and say that's caused by this disease. This doesn't mean that they are any less important it just means that they can be caused by many diseases. At this point what we do is take the most prominant / the most alarming of these symptoms and focus on it by examination and investigation.

As a matter of fact the extreme fatigue together with falling, blurring of vision are a serious enough combination to warrant immediate assessment.

Please contact your doctor's office again and try to talk to your doctor on the phone.

Please keep this thread updated.
 KrisMax - Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:33 pm

I seen my doctor today and I have to go get blood work done tomorrow to check my iron, hemoglobin, B12, thyroid etc. He said as soon as he gets the results back he will call me back and let me know either way and will continue from there. I'll will let you know if I hear anything. thanks again.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:24 pm

User avatar Thank you for the update. I am glad you got to see your doctor finally.

My best to you and good luck!
 KrisMax - Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:41 am

Just wanted to give you and update. I went and got a lot of blood work done and I got a call today saying I have to go see the doctor because he has my results , So I am going to see him in a couple days my the secretary told me that its my B12 levels are quite low. So I guess this is what has been causing my problems. Thanks for your help again.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:26 pm

User avatar Thank you KrisMax and I wish you a quick recovery!

|