Question: porencephalic cyst

chicky7881 - Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:40 pm

Im a 26 year old female. at the age of 2 i was found to have cebral palsy in right hand. My mom noticed something was wrong when i was only using my left hand to due things. My whole right side of my body is weaker.I also had a lot of trouble in school from learning disabilities and was in special education throught my whole school years. At the age of 23 almost 24 I had a seizure in my sleep. They did a ct and a mri and found a cyst on my brain that i have had sinse birth. Its about the size of a golf ball on the front left lobel of my brain.I had another one about a month later that was never reported and had a half a dozen baby ones maybe a few more Its a porencephalic cyst. I never got any answers from any drs about it. Now for the past 6 months or so ive had this constant headache and pressure and sharp pain on the whole left side of my head. Sometimes it gets real bad but it will not go away. Ive been to the drs and all they keep doing is giving me more medicine for the headaches and they don't give me answers about anything. all I know about it is the cyst can cause seizures and headaches and its cyst is the size of a golf ball. Thats it. I have no idea if they can treat it so my headaches and migrines will go away. I have no idea. I just want my headaches to go away so i can function. Any info would be greatly appricated thank you I currently am taking keppra for the seizures and they just gave me deprokote for the headaches. The deprokote makes me real tired all day where i can hardly keep my eyes open and its not helping m head
Thanks again
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:48 pm

User avatar Hi Chicky7881,

Porencephalic cysts are fairly uncommon. They can cause severe symptoms or may be nearly symptomless.

I would recommend you see a neurosurgeon for further evaluation. If the cyst is becoming enlarged and putting more pressure on the brain it may be causing your symptoms. This may need a shunt to help prevent pressure increases.

|