News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Pre-diabetic peripherial neuropathy

larrman113 - Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:08 pm

I am a 42 year old male that has seen my health roll down hill since December 2006. First symptoms were ear/hearing impairment. ENT checks out fine. Put on steriod treatment for sudden hearing loss. Could not sleep anymore...started Ambien CR.

January 2007, tingling in hands and feet begin. MRI of Head and spine nothing. bloodwork yields no clues although my blodd sugar is a little high (I am not diabetic yet I suppose). Body temp changes...cold all the time.

Blood pressure elevated, cholesterol bad, off steriods, put on Caduet (Norvasc/Lipitor). Pain accompanies tingling into February. Doctor also puts me on Xanax because I am very anxious about this condition.

March 2007, PCP sends me to Neurologist. Full work up...nothing new. Nerve conductivity test...positive (although it was early and I was still on Ambien CR). That test hurt bad. Neurologist calls it pre-diabetic Neuropathy. I google all I can about.

May 2007 Feet and legs experience excruciating pain. Ringing in ear returns loudly. Pinky and ring finger on left hand go numb. Neurologist tries Gabapentin...no relief.

June 2007, switch off Gabapentin, try Cymbalta. Serious emotional issues from these Neurotransmitters. Out of work almost a month...decompensating horribly. Nervous breakdown?

July 2007 off all neurotransmitters and Caduet...only on Xanax now. Completed changed diet and went to diabetic dietary recommendations...daily doses of B complex and other vitamins. Drink only water and Propel...no more sodas or coffee.

August 2007- functional but ringing in ear remains, pinky and ring finger feel cold. Feet hurt most of the time...cold, tingly...it seems heat and vibration help my feet a little.

Problems:
Nothing helps Tinnitus ringing in the ears...switches ears, goes from left to right.
Pinky and ring finger on left hand bothersome but on a small scale considering other conditions.
Feet hurt alot but at least with the Ambien CR I can sleep.
I am exercising, eating better, doing all the things I can...what more can I do to improve my conditions or deal with these symptoms?
My PCP says he has no more answers. Neurologist does not know why I have not responded to therapy. Its like I am on my own now.

My wife is a diabetic and has never had any of these symptoms. I check my blood sugar regularly and its never out of control. My PCP has done all the blood work, MRIs, and Xrays...perhaps someone has an answer?

Thanks,
 larrman113 - Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:04 pm

Another set of blood tests...more confirmation...no diabetes...

Now what?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here