Question: loss of memory

whereveriam - Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:30 pm

1. 27 years old
2. male
3. no past diagnoses
4. no past surgeries
5. no family history
6. no current medications

Hi, about a 4-5 years ago I began to have trouble with my memory. I'd struggle to remember simple words. my sentences would sometimes be incoherent. I'd constantly forget what I was talking about. and my memory just wasn't very good. I ignored the problem and wrote it off as anxiety... but now it has become a huge hindrance. 2 years ago, I went back to school as a full time student, scoring straight A's with the exception of a few B's. However, I can't retain any of the information that I learn. With a subject such as math, which is cumulative, I wouldn't think this would be a problem for most people. Having completed Calculus a month ago, I struggle to remember basic formulas that I need for my current semester.

Possible cause (?):
When I was 17-20 years old, my friends and I would do stupid things to get high..other then smoke pot, we'd huff air fresheners, and cause ourselves to pass out be exerting ourselves and stopping the blood flow to our heads. Stupid, I know.

Otherwise, I have an extreme lack of energy. I feel sickly. I looked up Anhedonia, but it doesn't fit my symptoms. I do feel excited and happy about many things, although I am depressed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated... I can't afford to see a doctor.. but I would just like an idea as to what I might try and do to overcome this.

Thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:26 pm

User avatar I would first try to get a complete exam by a doctor, but since you have indicated this is a problem I enclose this book title for you.

The Memory Book: The Classic Guide to Improving Your Memory at Work, at School, and at Play by Harry Lorayne (Author), Jerry Lucas (Author)

Perhaps you could do some self-help. There may also be some kind of support group for people with this kind of concern. You could even find out if there is a local mental health agency with a sliding scale for fees.

Good luck with this.
 whereveriam - Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:30 pm

Thank you for the response. I'll go ahead and order that book. I'm also trying ginkgo biloba. I've heard that it helps with memory and concentration. Otherwise, I'll see what I can do about seeing a doctor. I have to address this problem, which I'm beginning to suspect is an issue of a broader problem.

glenp - Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:56 pm

I am not a medical professional but recognize a few symptoms. Have you investigated CFS or ME I will try and post a link here. The link is by a Canadian specialist who wrote the concensus for physicians. Memory, flu like symptoms and lack of energy are all symptoms of this illness. If you want to leave your email I will get in touch with you if you want more information. I suffer from this illness, I have a question for the doctors on here also. gl and god bless.

http://www.mefmaction.net/documents/me_overview.pdf

|