Question: brain cyst

chicky7881 - Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:57 pm

i recentley posted about a cyst i have had sinse birth that was found on an mri 2 years ago after having a seizure. At the time i was told it was a porencephalic cyst. I just picked up my mri the other day and now they say its a arschnoid cyst. Ive been trying to get about it cause ive been havinglots of headaches and sharp pains. I have pain meds for now they don't work at all. all They do is make me sleepy. The cyst is on the front left side of my head. Its a very sensitive spot all the sudden.the start of my spine is sour too. I have cebral palsy in right hand. Ive been waiting to see the dr Cause i cant work with the amount of pain. Im really not sure what the difference betweeen the two cysts are. Two years ago it was measured at 5.9x 3.8x 4 cm now it says 65mm in diameter and 35mm short axis dimension. Im not good in math so not sure if that means it grew any. I just hope the drs can do something so the pain goes away. Its very frustrating when all you know is you had a seizure and you have a cyst and have no clue what anything means. Ive also been getting dizzy too where sometimes i have trouble walking
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:24 pm

User avatar Hi Chicky7881,

Arachnoid cysts are quite common. Almost always they are incidental and do not cause problems.

Occasionally they can be large enough to cause some trouble, such as headaches. The second measurements really haven't changed much as some variability is expected depending on where the measurements were take, the angle of the slices on the CT scan, etc.

I would recommend you see a neurosurgeon about this. They will be the ones to fix the problem if needed, so they will likely be able to give you the best information about whether it needs to be repaired or not.

|