Question: post diskectomy numbness

wbrco - Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:12 pm

I had a lumbar microdiskectomy in 05/05. Prior to the diskecomy I had severe pain down my right leg, but no numbness.

After the proceedure, my right foot was completely numb. some wore off, but for the last 2 years, the right 3 toes and the outside of my right foot has pins and needles.

The surgeon said the siatic nurve was crushed/flattened by the herniation, but there is no problems now. I've had a couple of MRI's and everyhting there according to them look fine.

What is internesting is if I do my streching excercises I can feel the numbness change in my foot. It will also eb and flow depending on what I'm doing. My physiatrist says if it was going to wear off it would have by now and has prescribed Lyrica which helps somewhat. What doesn't make sense to me is

1. I didn' t have numbness prior to surgery.
2. it changes intensity on it's own
3 I can get it to change insensity by doing excrecises or having an chiropractic adjustment.

I think that its still pinched or there is fibrosis/adheasions in play here, but everyone I ask says everything is fine that they can see. Nobody is interested enough to look into it further.

Am I worried about nothing? I think I have a bit of a dropped foot too, but none of my current physicians are curious enough to dig into this problem.

Thanks!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:42 pm

User avatar Hi Wbrco,

It does sound suspicious for a compressed nerve. It is possible that you have a little scar tissue pressing on the nerve, although one would expect to see some evidence of this on the MRI.

I would recommend you see a neurologist for an evaluation. If needed, they can do some nerve conduction studies to help see what is going on with the nerve.

|