News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: als fears

ny2125 - Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:15 pm

i have had various twitches on my body for the last 3-4 years. an eyelid, calf, back, etc. would flare up every once in a while. i was scared of als at first but learned that twitches w/als come w/dying muscle and atrophy.

now for the past few days my knuckle/hand have been hurting. like i hit a wall w/my hand. mostly my index finger and thumb. the pain moves sometimes to my wrist and forearm but mostly in the hand. i can still function w/the hand. i do lift weights and type and write a lot. if this was carpal tunnel, would the pain move around??? sometimes i feel like it radiates (the pain).

my main fear is als. i am just so fearful of this disease and have read about a local young man my age w/it. i am 32.

how does als present??? how rare is it??? how do you know if you have it??? i have seen my dr on a regular basis and am soon to go again. he gives me a good workup. i do have an underactive thyroid and take blood pressure meds too. don't know if this can be related. i also have high anxiety and ocd.

anything you or someone can relate to this i would appreciate it. thanks.
 ny2125 - Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:25 pm

forgot to mention that on my other hand, i will sometimes get the pain too. most of the pain is on the left hand area. i am right handed. right now, i just got done hitting a bucket of golf balls, and both hands (mostly index finger knuckles) are sore and a little painful. more so now than earlier today. i hate to run to the dr. for every little thing i feel, but i will if this continues for some time i guess. thanks again.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here