Forum Name: Headaches

Question: What is the standard care for migraines?

elthiastar - Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:35 am

I'm new here. I'm a 31 y/o female with a strong family history of migraines. My father died this past year from cancer and I've been recently diagnosed with migraines with auras. I also have a history of chronic diarrhea ever since I had my gallbladder removed several years ago, and I manage the diarrhea with cholestyramine 4 gm twice daily. I'm on topamax 75 mg daily, I have prn axert 12.5mg, prn phenergan 25mg, prn lunesta 3 mg, and I take a prenatal vitamin daily due to family hx of MTHFR mutation. (it's just precautionary, I haven't had any blood clots, and my labs have always been ok)

The situation is that I have just finished up a debilitating 10 day migraine, aura with bright lights, dizziness, photophobia, phonophobia, vomiting, diaphoresis, diarrhea, stabbing pains in the eye, tinnitus. I tried taking axert with no effect, I had some fiornal left over from an old script and took it occasionally just so I could sleep, I took a total of 8 pills over a 7 day period. Phenergan was not effective, and by day 4 I was vomiting uncontrollably. I was unable to take by cholestyramine due to vomiting. So I went to the family med clinic, recieved IM phenergan/stadol discharged home. To ED the next day for uncontrolled vomiting, recieved IV reglan/decadron one liter of fluids discharged home. Spent next 2 days (weekend) in dark room clutching emesis basin. Then became so weak I could hardly stand and the diarrhea was watery, so back to family med clinic, where I fainted walking back to room. Seen by PA, no labs done, given shot of vistaril, refused pain meds(was told my headache was from "taking too much pain meds), given neurology consult and sent home with a script for phenergan suppositories when I complained oral phenergan wasn't managing the nausea. The pain in my head was so bad that on the way home I was curled into a fetal position and crying. The very next night back to ED because I was vomiting so hard I was having chest pain so bad I could hardly breathe and was sweating. This time my husband was threatened that he would be forcibly removed from the ED for speaking up for me. I was given an EKG, IV compazine, 1/2 bag fluids, no pain meds and sent home.

Is this standard care for migraines??? I feel like I've been treated like such a low life. I have no history of drug use, no psychiatric history, and now I'm scared to go back to the clinic or ED for anything, But the next nearest clinic that accepts our insurance is over an hour away, and they aren't accepting new patients. I just took my last axert for a migraine a few hours ago, and my insurance won't pay for a refill till next month. I've been out of work for 2 weeks and I don't have $150 to pay for the script out of pocket. My brother has offered me his meds, but he's on a different triptan, and I'm scared to mix meds.

Any suggestions?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:07 am

User avatar I think you could benefit from a neurologist consult. I would make an appointment. I know money is a concern but if you can't work because of the pain, finding a solution would definitely be financially responsible.

Migraines are a very puzzling problem. It sounds like everyone so far has been baffled by this and there is no solution that fits everyone.

|