Question: "Electric shock" feeling in left thumb

spazticorange - Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:59 am

There is a feeling like getting an electric shock every time I role something over the area between the intermediate phalanges and the distal phalanges. I can feel a nerve or vessel in that area but when I roll my finger over it, I get a nervy feeling in the distal phalanges of my left thumb.

This is kind of hindering me from playing my guitar and violin as I have to constantly release and re-apply pressure on my left thumb when playing different notes. Any advise as to what to do or what my problem really is would be helpful. Thanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:48 pm

User avatar Hi Spazticorange,

It sounds like you may have some compression of the nerve that supplies the thumb. This may be due to an overuse injury.

I would recommend you see your doctor to have this evaluated. Treatment may range from an anti-inflammatory to try to reduce any inflammation that is compressing the nerve, to surgical release of the nerve.

|