Question: onset of dizziness

mwtzzz - Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:04 am

About a week and a half ago, I started getting dizzy. The way it occurs is that if I move, such as bend over or stand up, I experience brief moderate dizziness. It also occurs when I am lying down and I turn over or turn my head. There is no nausea or blurred vision with this. Just dizziness.

I am not prone to dizziness, which is what makes the length of this unusual.

I went to a family doctor yesterday. He tested my reflexes, looked at my eyes, looked into my ears ... in short, the usual waiting room exam, and said he thought it was probably an inflammation of the inner ear and that I should just wait.

Does this seem like a reasonable diagnosis? Should I trust it or seek a second opinion?

I don't have a runny nose, no "plugged up ears", or sinuses.

Here's some more information about me:

- 36 years old, male, 150 lbs, 5'8"
- recent good EKG test
- high cholesterol that is untreated
- no history of other illness other than childhood asthma
- no past surgeries
- no current medications
- family history: both parents are treated for high cholesterol and high blood pressure

any advice is appreciated. thank you.

michael
 mwtzzz - Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:18 am

A few things I forgot to mention in the first post.

- I thought it might be dehydration because I don't drink much water. I started drinking plenty of water and gaterade yesterday. Today I woke up and got out of bed, still dizzy.

- In the moment of dizziness, if I force myself to breathe in and out heavily, the dizziness goes away almost instantly. Likewise, prior to moving around, if I breathe heavily, it usually prevents the dizziness from occuring.
 mwtzzz - Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:24 pm

Responding to my own post.

My wife found a description of "vertigo" on the internet the symptoms of which match what I've got. The key things that attracted my attention were that simply moving one's head can induce the dizziness, and that the dizziness comes on strongly and goes away rapidly.

There's also physical exercises to be done as a treatment for it.

|