News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: ulnar nerve cut

tripper - Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:26 am

hi im 21 yr old female and dec 2005 i met with a glass table and cut my left arm wide open could see in it and everything (home alone to top it off) 9 stiches including arm and rudey finger cuts on both hands and healed ok cept for when i was getting the stiches out day before xmas it reopened anywho a couple months after it happened i noticed my arm was hurting alot and thought id check it out had a nerve conduction test done i severed my ULNAR nerve and its weaker then my right goes numb and tingley often cant lean on it and its been aching non stop for week i work with my arms so its not the best thing to have im due for another test in late october as it hasnt stopped hurting for weeks.

i would like to know wat exactly can be done to fix a severed ulnar nerve and how its done ??
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:18 am

User avatar Hi Tripper,

I would recommend you consult with an orthopedic or neurosurgeon about this. It is my understanding that this far out surgery is unlikely to be very helpful.

Physical and occupational therapy are often helpful. Peripheral nerves can regenerate with persistent therapy but it can take a long time.

Nerve pain can often be treated with a more specific type of medication that works well on nerves such as gabapentin.

Following up with a neurologist is another alternative to get a more expert opinion.

Best wishes.
 tripper - Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:27 am

i am seeing a nurologist 29th of oct for a nerve conduction test do i talk to him about this so its a medication and physical therapy thing only ?
 tripper - Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:40 pm

who would i see about the physical therapy gp or neuro ?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here