Question: Gliosis in right parietal lobe of 20 month old

mikecaseychase - Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:21 pm

Can anybody provide any information on Gliosis? We were recently instructed to schedule an MRI for our 20 month old son after Doctors identified what appeared to gliosis in our son's right parietal lobe after conducting a CAT scan. We were told that it wasn't a big deal but at the same time we were instructed to schedule an appointment AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. The doctor did not address any of our concerns and the only information he provided was a computer print out defining gliosis. If you know of any pertinent websites or have knowledge concerning this topic I would love to know. We are specifically concerned with the cause of the gliosis. I have read that it can be caused by MS, stroke and may be associated with epilepsy. Does anybody know if could be caused by mild head trauma. Our child did take a fairly hard fall at an early age while learning how to walk and also fell off of a bed once? I know that sounds rather simplistic but we are hoping that this is something simple while praying that nothing is seriously wrong.
 mikecaseychase - Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:32 pm

The full review of the CAT scan indicated that the ventricles are normal in size and in the midline. There is no evidence of a midline shift or other mass effect. No acute hemorrhage was seen. There is a linear well-defined area of cerebrospinal fluid attenuation in the right parietal lobe, that may represent a small cleft. It does not extend to the ventricle.

I'm guessing this may be a birth defect, any other ideas? What effect will this have on my son? are there any other future health concerns?

Once again, thank you for your time and consideration.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:36 pm

User avatar Hi Mikecaseychase,

It may be that what is being seen is a condition known as schizencephaly. If you google this you'll get lots of concerning information. It can be severe but it can also be very mild with few, if any, symptoms.

MS and stroke are very unlikely in a child this age.

I would recommend having your child evaluated by a pediatric neurologist who can also review the CT scan and give you much better, more specific information than I am able to.

mikecaseychase - Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:13 pm

Thank you for your help. Based on what I had learned, I had already started researching schizencephaly and became very depressed . I'm glad to hear a different view point as well as positive information. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Dr. Chan Lowe wrote:Hi Mikecaseychase,

|